The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ever heard of Lance camera straps?

mdwsta4

I've been using an Artist and Artisan 103N strap for the last year and a half or so. Love the strap for its length, durability, and how it feels. That said, I've always been a fan of the round 'paracord' style of straps, just not the price most places charge.

Last week I stumbled upon Lance straps (Non-adjust Neck Strap | Lance Camera Straps) who seemed to offer exactly what I was looking for. A quality strap and an affordable price. Having not been able to find much of anything online about them I took a chance and ordered a non-adjustable strap. It came in the mail about 4 days later. Since there isn't much online about this company, I figured I'd post about it.

First impressions are solid. The material isn't silk like, but is quite soft. While the strap is somewhat stiff I am confident it will soften up with some use. Ends are finished nicely and you're able to customize this if you want to (although I think it looks kind of cheesy based on examples from their website). The length is identical to my A&A strap which is perfect for me.

The only complaint I have is that the ends are rather large and affect how I hold the camera. With the A&A strap, the ends lay flat and add no bulk to the camera. With this, the ends are round and add a solid bit to the camera. Suppose it may take me a while to get used to that. We'll see.

Anyway, onto pics!

Compared to A&A

How the ends are finished

on camera

I think this image gives you an idea to how much the strap sticks out at the ends

especially when compared to an A&A strap that don't stick out at all

If you're looking for a nice (and affordable) A&A alternative, I think these guys have done a pretty great job!

SYGTAFOTO

Not sure about how everyone else feels, but for me, I hate having anything bulky on my right palm when I hold my camera.. so these aren't for me.

thrice

I don't hold the strap when I hold the camera, the lug (and very little of the strap) sits between my fingers.
The A&A silk cord and this Lance strap should suit me fine.

Double Negative

Not Available
Interesting! Very similar to the Street Strap just reviewed. A site called Lumiere is also producing them, albeit with heat shrink tubing over the ends. Seems A&A is getting a little competition...

algrove

I like my Gordy's wrist strap. Good quality leather that loosens up and becomes less stiff feeling after a few weeks of use.

Double Negative

Not Available
I have to admit, I'm partial to leather straps too (though I use Luigi's). They do get wonderfully soft with use/time.

One advantage of these round straps at least is they won't "twist up" since - well - they're round... :p

mdwsta4

last week I posted about a new company called Lance straps (Lance Camera Straps) that I took a chance on. I also mentioned that I wasn't the biggest fans of the bulky ends and how it affected my grip. After getting in contact with the owner, he informed me that they were developing a new version of the strap which should eliminate the issue I was having.

Here's what arrived in the mail:

these ends loop through the holes so the bulk of the cord isn't down at the end

it's also a flashy red color. ha!

I'll admit I had reservations about the detachable aspect and durability of it, but I really like the convenience for those times that I simply don't want to use a strap. Now it's super easy to remove it!

compared to the original ends

Gotta say again, I think these guys are offering a great product at a great price! I highly recommend them.

Hosermage

My setup is probably different than most, and not necessarily better, but fits me the most. I like having a sling-style strap so when I'm not carrying the camera, it's hanging off to the side, and I like using wrist strap (on M9), and figer strap (on OM-D). So I use one side of the lug for wrist/finger straps and the other side for sling straps.

I like the Op/Tech USA's strap quick disconnects, but I don't trust it THAT much, so I double it up (see attached images). It allows me to carry it when I want, and easily hook it up or detach from the sling strap.

SYGTAFOTO

For me, I never find the need to change straps or to take the strap off. Once they are on, I don't want them off, intentionally or unintentionally. As $10,000+ worth of equipment can be hanging off my neck, I don't really want any quick release type mechanism built into the strap. I have had incidents where my camera got yanked accidentally by walking through crowds, while taking my jacket off, and 3 year old son when I am carrying him with the camera around my neck :)
Maybe these work just as well, but a solid leather strap with steel lug rings give me the psychological assurance that I need.

Godfrey

Hey, these straps are nice! All of them! Some nice choices here. :)

Those little strings freak me out. I might hang a P&S from them, but not a Leica.
A long while ago now, I felt the same way. So I stress tested one of the strings on a point and shoot wrist strap with a steel lug on a junk camera body and a strain gauge, set up in a jig to pull them apart. When the lug (a press-fit into the body) pulled free, the string was unharmed and the steel lug was deformed into an oval. The strain gauge read something in the 180 lbs force range when the lug pulled out of the body.

I wouldn't worry about that part. The quick releases are a more likely source of strap failure, but my experience with them has been very good too.