The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cost of CLA?

mdwsta4

Not that my camera needs it yet, but I was wondering how much it costs for a CLA (mainly alignment of the rangefinder) for an M9? Oddly enough, I can't seem to find prices anywhere online using Google.

Thank you!
Matt

monza

Hi Matt, the RF adjustment alone is not particularly difficult and should not cost much. A CLA is much more involved...and that would pretty much mean a trip to Leica. There should be several places in LA that can do the RF adjustment...

Last edited:

mdwsta4

Thanks, but unfortunately, that doesn't answer my question.

How much does an adjustment cost?

What does a CLA entail for a digital M and what does it cost?

If you're able to have adjustments done by other companies, does that void your warranty?

monza

You'll need to talk to the actual techs to get a quote. Everyone is different. CLAs are also dependent on the tech as well, some do more work than others and charge accordingly.

mdwsta4

Okay, so let me rephrase the question.

For anyone that's gotten their M8/9 adjusted and/or CLA'd, what did it cost you? Let's look at ranges.

Honestly, I didn't think this would be such a difficult question to answer.

mdwsta4

Thanks for the link. Guess I'll have to look into that when the time comes. BTW, where in SM do you live? I'm right off of Main St.

No one else?

monza

That's a special for M8s and M8.2s and includes a 1 year warranty. Good deal.

Call a tech if you want actual M9 prices. :)

Dave Elwell is the contact at Leica:

Dave Elwell
Leica Camera Inc. / Parts & Technical Services
1 Pearl Court/ Unit A
Allendale, NJ 07401
Leica Camera AG / [email protected]
Tel 800-222-0118 Ext 1 9941 / Fax 201-995-1686

mdwsta4

I can do that, but I suppose it's strange that it seems like a secret as to what the prices are. You would think Person A would chime in and say 'I got mine adjusted/CLA'd at place X for $Y', Person B for $Z at M place, etc.

Obviously outside shops are going to charge different prices (just like a car mechanic), but there should still be a range of prices so people get an idea. ie, an oil change would cost between $50-80, you know?

monza

I can't speak for other people. Since I've never had the RF in an M9 adjusted, I can't provide a price, I can only recommend what I've already suggested. :)

atanabe

Matt,
I think the most important question is "who is the best technician to do this repair?". Accept the fact that the best technician may cost more and may vary the price on urgency of your request and how busy they may be at the time.

If your M9 is under warranty, the cost should be $0 from Leica unless the condition was due to abuse.