The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have the 28 Perar Super Triplet?

mdwsta4

I've been eyeing this lens for a while as I think it's extremely unique and I'm looking for an inexpensive wide lens.

MS Optical Super Triplet Perar 4/28 | japan exposures

In September I'll be traveling to Munich and Prague (possibly Venice if I have time) and like the idea of being able to pack a wider lens than my 35. I doubt I'll use it very often which is why I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on it, but the option would be nice as would the size so I can keep my traveling bag compact.

Wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the lens. I believe I can find a Zeiss 28 f2.8 for around the same price, but it's not as unique and this may/may not hold its value better.

Thanks!
M

richardman

It's no bigger than a body cap, so there's no reason why to take it with you in that sense. However, it does vignette and the corners lose "cohesion" (don't know the name of that optical defect), but otherwise a good performer. It is what it is, and it's not going to be the same league as the Zeiss, but you can put it in your shirt pocket and you wouldn't know it's there.

BeeWee

I have the 35 perar and like Richardman says image quality is a few notches down from Zeiss (or Pentax, Canon, Olympus, etc... for that matter).

The 35 perar vignettes, has a fair bit of distortion, and is quite soft in the corners. If you want the clean, distortion free, rangefinder look, this lens is not the lens to do the job.

Here are the reasons to get this lens:
- It's unique from an optical design standpoint (same reason why someone might want to own an interesting bike)
- It's different from everything else available and the optical design has been around for ages (kind of like collecting old Atari computers)
- You want to have a lens cap that weighs as much as a lens cap but does a bit more
- You just want something new to toy around with because you're bored really expensive leica/zeiss glass (same reason why you might want to turn an M9 into a pinhole camera - just for kicks)
- You like the perar look. It definitely has its own unique signature with the way it 'draws' the image (kind of like how some people enjoy using polaroid/instagram).

mdwsta4

I was thinking about getting it primarily for the unique factor as well as the size.

Now I'm thinking perhaps I'll pick up a 24 elmarit instead. Thoughts?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I have the Perar 28mm and 35mm. I don't see any vignetting on either of them. Nice sharp fun lenses. I use them on a GXR M-mount.

Keith

Hosermage

I was thinking about getting it primarily for the unique factor as well as the size.

Now I'm thinking perhaps I'll pick up a 24 elmarit instead. Thoughts?
Hi Matt, I just bought the 28mm Elmarit ASPH, which is suppose to be the smallest M-lens made by Leica (according to Mr. Rockwell). Should receive it next week.

BeeWee

I don't have much experience with the 24 elmarit but I also have the 28 elmarit asph. It's bloody sharp. So sharp that when I shoot landscapes with lots of detail, I get aliasing on the M8.2.

Note about vignetting with the 35 perar. Mine vignettes wide open. It gets better at f5.6 but it's still a bit noticable.

tele_player

I don't have much experience with the 24 elmarit but I also have the 28 elmarit asph. It's bloody sharp. So sharp that when I shoot landscapes with lots of detail, I get aliasing on the M8.2.
Same thing happens with most of my lenses on M9. It's annoying, and I've wondered why nobody else seems to mention it.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I just received the Perar 35. I chose this because there are presumably fewer issues with color shifts than a 28. A fun lens. Tiny. Very cool looking. Takes some getting used to from a form factor standpoint. Rendering is very, very contrasty. Resolution ok. Pretty soft in the corners wide open. Overall interesting and fun. 1930s optic without the flare - the glass is fully coated.

For some reason it tends to show off spots on the sensor.

Some examples on an M9 from an urban walk about. I've done a great deal of lightening shadows and spot adjusting to compensate against the contrast. A little more veiling flare might not be a bad thing.

Last edited: