The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M8.2 just arrived

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well leica did send me a brand new 8.2 to try out and a new 24mm 3.8 . Okay folks this is deathly quiet. Seriously I can barely hear the shutter go. Nice vulcanite, LCD is nice and the Black leica label logo is a must have. Some added top deck like S mode , 1/4000 shutter and looks like sync speed is 1/180th . Now the frame lines look better but I am going from memory here folks so hard to say . The 24mm framelines looks like before but the 50 and 75 seem smaller which makes sense. Now i shot maybe 25 thousand images on the M8 between my bodies and a couple loaners so it is familiar for sure. Did I happen to mention how quiet it is. Need to find a Sd card somewhere. LOL

Charger a lot nicer too.

i will be giving it a spin in these next weeks to I will update as i go but so far this seems like a bigger improvement than the paper it is written on.

Guy Mancuso

Whoa a lot harder to click into timer mode. That is a lot better than before. i did that a lot before.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Get out your check book :thumbup:

I'm curious what you think about that lens.

Last edited:
The M8.2 is a very nice upgrade to the original M8. I was surprised about just how much better it sounded and looked.

Mark

glennedens

i have been using mine for 2 weeks now, it is a different camera than the original :) i do not see a difference in image quality, however the handling is so much better. it took me a little practice to get the hang of the new exposure compensation UI but it is a BIG improvement over having to go into the menus. the new framelines are much more accurate.

i saved my M Grip from my previous M8 but once i put it on it became clear, it is all wrong, wrong color and wrong feel. the new vulcanite is great.

Guy, i too am very interested to hear what you think of the 24/3.8! did they send you the new 24mm finder? while the 24/2.8 is fantastic it is larger than i would like and the size of the 24 seems ideal to me.

glenn

Guy Mancuso

The 24mm 3.8 is about the size of a 35mm cron little bigger . It is very small. I will shoot some images of it on the M8 this week and i need to shoot the lens also. No finder though but if I need some lenses and such Jim and Linda are here in town to let me try whatever I need. They are the Leica reps that i had on several workshops and are good friends of Jack and I plus many members here.

irakly

The 24mm 3.8 is about the size of a 35mm cron little bigger . It is very small. I will shoot some images of it on the M8 this week and i need to shoot the lens also. No finder though but if I need some lenses and such Jim and Linda are here in town to let me try whatever I need. They are the Leica reps that i had on several workshops and are good friends of Jack and I plus many members here.
Guy, you do not need a finder for the 24. M8 finder at 100% is for this focal length.

Guy Mancuso

I know was wondering why they even bothered to make a 24mm finder myself. I only had one for the Wate, 18 Zeiss or 21mm lenses. The 12mm i had one but never used it

The new Leica 21mm and 24mm finders are awesome, well built, and very small. They have frame lines for both full frame and M8 (dashed/solid). However, I am not sure how much of an advantage they offer on an M8 since one can use 24mm frame lines or the entire viewfinder frame for the 24mm/21mm lenses.

Mark

JWW

Guy,

Shouldn't the 50 and 75mm framelines look bigger on the M8.2 since on the M8 the image taken is larger than the framelines (at distance)?

Jan

jonoslack

HI Guy
Congratulations. I wonder how long it'll be before it's yours!

My upgraded M8 is out for delivery today - in the end I cracked and did the whole business (shutter, framelines, LCD and vulcanite). The covering needed replacing anyway, and the LCD was scratched by the Leica leather strap!

I'm really interested in that lens - but I wonder whether it's that much better (or smaller) than the Zeiss 25 f2.8 - I'll be interested in your impressions.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

Shouldn't the 50 and 75mm framelines look bigger on the M8.2 since on the M8 the image taken is larger than the framelines (at distance)?

Jan
The problem is my memory which most folks know I can't remember much. Product of the 70's . LOL

It just seems tighter for some reason. Certainly can be wrong here.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: who needs an external finder for the 24 on M8's?

Me, for one. With my glasses on, I have trouble seeing the whole frame quickly, especially since the 24/2.8 blocks about a quarter of the view. And the awesome new 24/1.4 superlens will be even bigger than that. So I picked up a Voightlaender 21/D finder (for the Epson, with 1.5x magnification factor) and can see everything. But if the bright day 24/3.8 is not much bigger than the 35/2.0 the built-in framelines should be quite usable.

scott

harmsr

Workshop Member
The frame lines are all larger now than they were to cover the view at 2 meters. The 50 & 75 were the worst offenders on the M8. They do a very nice job now of being realistic. You can go back to the old rule of thumb and be very close. Use the inside of the frame lines for close shots and the outside of the frame line for infinity.

Best,

Ray

G

gtmerideth

Guy,

I know it's part of life. That being the memory loss. But your hearing too.
Bad luck.

Older than you,
gary

scott kirkpatrick

The new Leica 21mm and 24mm finders are awesome, well built, and very small. They have frame lines for both full frame and M8 (dashed/solid).
The Voightlaender finders are about 3 cm high and 3.5 cm wide. They are bright but have noticeable barrel distortion. How do the Leica finders compareon size?

scott

glennedens

Guy, you do not need a finder for the 24. M8 finder at 100% is for this focal length.
Irakly, correct, of course, but with my glasses I find it hard to peer around and into the M8's viewfinder for framing when using the 24. I also tend to leave the Leica Magnifier on the camera all the time. I guess us in the 55+ set have "special needs" :)

Glenn

jonoslack

Irakly, correct, of course, but with my glasses I find it hard to peer around and into the M8's viewfinder for framing when using the 24. I also tend to leave the Leica Magnifier on the camera all the time. I guess us in the 55+ set have "special needs" :)

Glenn
HI Glenn
I'm one of the 55+ special needs set too (only just OF COURSE)
I've taken to wearing contact lenses for shooting, it's a huge success - I wear a 1.75 for my shooting eye, and a 2.5 for my looking at the lcd eye:thumbup: