The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Venerable Older M lenses

gogopix

Subscriber
I was going to put this on the image thread, but it is not about the image; the subject here is older Leica "M" lenses, esp on ythe digital M8 and M9

Here's a scene with the newest 28/2.8 just for context.
The next post will compare to what I wanted to do; zoom in on the new WTC towers...and I did that with a 135 Tele-Elmar.

gogopix

Subscriber
So, here's the Tele-Elmar on the twers from about a half mile or more away.

the M9 files are really good, as you can see from the crop.

This was C 1 V6 processed to jpg and then reduced in CS 5 to 1200 pixels across. No sharpening, only minor exposure adjustment.
People arent going to throw away their 135.3.4 ASPHs (I sold mine) but this is pretty damn good to my eyes (which aren't too damn good any more though :D

gogopix

Subscriber
Dude

it is 210xxx so 1965, the year I started as math prof at USNaval Academy.

Taylor, I have a 1961 Elmar as well. Trying it next! (188xxx)

regards
Victor

PS I am on the 90mm track now; I want to test the 3-element bayonet vs 3-el screw vs 4-element bayonet.

Anyone else have these and know the history behind???

gogopix

Subscriber
yes
they are supposed to have some really good characteristics, and some say were inherently APO that seems hard to believe with 3 elements, but if the glass was large compared to the ultimate aperture (and it was f4, so maybe only center was used)) it could be like the older telyts that had little CA
i'll try a few comparisons vs the 4 element, as I am curious