The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Initial impressions of a new M9P shooter

ghoonk

Yes, the link you provided to the 135mm f4 was the version I was refering to....but you should have no trouble finding one for much less!
Dave, I've got 1.25x and 1.4x magnifiers on the way. Trying to decide between a 90 summicron and a 135 elmar. The 135s I've seen on eBay come in two flavors - the one with the scalloped focusing ring and external hood, and the 'newer' E46 one with the integrated hood. The only thing that's holding me back on the 135 is the fear of focus shift / front/back focusing. I'm also hearing/reading that the two versions share the same optical design and IQ, with the only difference being body design. Is this correct?

The alternative, of course, is a nice 90 cron, which I personally prefer over a 75/1.8 (CV) - how hard is it to find a good copy? I'm seeing prices around USD1.6k for a fairly clean example, and frankly, I'd rather pay for a good copy than save a hundred or two and end up with something which won't focus right on the M9.

What do you think? Just go for it?

D&A

Hi ghoonk,

It's always best to keep in mind that when purchasing any lens, especially a used one, there is always the chance it might mis-focus on a particular body ...so there is no way to predict of know prior to mounting and testing it out. Yes, some lenses are more prone to front/back focus, especially those of an older era, so I would generally first decide what particular lens you're most interested in due to its optical characteristics and then purchase what appears to be a nice sample of that lens and go from there. It might or might need adjusting. It's also helpful to communicate with the seller and for them to provide feedback in terms of their experience with the lens.

Generally a 90mm focal length on the M9 is often more versitile than a 135mm but that is of course subjective and it depends on what you plan to shoot. The very last version of the 135mm f4 just prior to the 135mm f3.4 APO is reported to have better coatings on it's glass surfaces and this has tended to give imp[orved performance, especially in flairy situations. Thats the version I most often recommend.

As for the 90mm Cron, at approx. $1,600 I believe you are refering to the 90mm Cron Pre Asph. Although many of the pre APO versions are excellent optically, for handling/size/ergonomics etc., I prefer the very last version just prior to the current 90mm Cron AA lens. It's often though of as an ideal portrait lens with it's softer more gental drawing of an image, espcialy at the wider apertures, although once stopped down, it's particulary sharp. In comparision, the 90mm Cron AA is bitingly sharp wide opena and for many portrait subjects, some find it too sharp. Again its all subjective.

I'm a bit short on time at the moment, otherwise I'd elaborate more on this subject, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Dave (D&A)

Paratom

Dave, I've got 1.25x and 1.4x magnifiers on the way. Trying to decide between a 90 summicron and a 135 elmar. The 135s I've seen on eBay come in two flavors - the one with the scalloped focusing ring and external hood, and the 'newer' E46 one with the integrated hood. The only thing that's holding me back on the 135 is the fear of focus shift / front/back focusing. I'm also hearing/reading that the two versions share the same optical design and IQ, with the only difference being body design. Is this correct?

The alternative, of course, is a nice 90 cron, which I personally prefer over a 75/1.8 (CV) - how hard is it to find a good copy? I'm seeing prices around USD1.6k for a fairly clean example, and frankly, I'd rather pay for a good copy than save a hundred or two and end up with something which won't focus right on the M9.

What do you think? Just go for it?
I would recommend the 90 Elmarit - for me the perfect 90mm. Nice small site, very nice drawing, f2.8 is fast enough IMO.

D&A

I would recommend the 90 Elmarit - for me the perfect 90mm. Nice small site, very nice drawing, f2.8 is fast enough IMO.
Very much agree! The Elmarit-M 90mm f2.8 (last version with buit in hood) is a gem and a great all purpose/performing short telephoto. Very close to the acuity and sharpness of the 90mm Cron AA. The 90mm Cron pre asph (E55), which is the last version of the 90mm Cron prior to the AA, is somewhat superior for most portraits and has a lovely signature...so there are many great choices in the 90mm range.

Dave (D&A)

StephenPatterson

I am another huge fan of the 90 Elmarit-M. It's only slightly larger and heavier than my 50 Summilux ASPH and produces stunningly brilliant images (especially portraits). Wide open at f/2.8 it's pretty fast, and I like to shoot portraits here as they tend to have a certain glow.

I have found through a series of test shots using two 90 Elmarit-M lenses on both of my M9s that micro contrast and sharpness improve at f/4. I'm not sure what the MTF charts say (and in any case I would probably read them incorrectly) but my tests lead me to believe this lens does it's best work from f/4 to f/5.6.

D&A

I am another huge fan of the 90 Elmarit-M. It's only slightly larger and heavier than my 50 Summilux ASPH and produces stunningly brilliant images (especially portraits). Wide open at f/2.8 it's pretty fast, and I like to shoot portraits here as they tend to have a certain glow.

I have found through a series of test shots using two 90 Elmarit-M lenses on both of my M9s that micro contrast and sharpness improve at f/4. I'm not sure what the MTF charts say (and in any case I would probably read them incorrectly) but my tests lead me to believe this lens does it's best work from f/4 to f/5.6.
Stephen, thats been my observation too...that at f4 and smaller, the Elmarit M has a bit more definition and acuity than when its shot at f2.8. Its very close to the performance of the 90mm cron asph at f4 and smaller and at f2.8is slightly behind that lens. This makes f2.8 with the ELmarit M nice for portraits with subjects that benefit from slight softness. The glow at f2.8 though is minimal in my opinion as compared to some other Leica lenses (shot wide open).

The reason I peg the 90mm Cron pre asph (E55) as more of a portrait lens, is it's roundness and the way it draws when shot wide open and even when used at f4. It excess at this use and is a generally good lens when stopped down but in terms of sharpness, the Elmarit M is definitely superior.

Now if each would only costs $100, I'd have one of each :)

Dave (D&A)

ghoonk

Wow. it looks like the 90 gets more votes than the 135! I generally prefer getting faster lenses, and in this case, a stopped down cron goes to f2.8, while a stopped down elmarit ends up at f4, and i like the option of softer bokeh :)

So off I go now to that auction site to see what I can get an Elmarit vs cron for

Thanks, everyone!

ghoonk

oh yay :)

Just picked up a 90 cron on eBay from a guy I often buy gear from. It should arrive next Monday!

ghoonk

A couple from my recent trip to Sri Lanka, shot with an M9P with a 35 cron IV and a 50 cron (E39)

At the Wallawwa boutique hotel, a very quaint, quiet and delightful little getaway in the heart of Colombo

Over in Galle, the Sun House, a truly rustic and romantic hotel just 5 minutes from the beach. Converted from a colonial house, this hotel has just 6 rooms. Stayed at the Cinnamon suite, a spacious and insanely comfortable suite

Over in Galle Fort, a European tourist watches as a track & field event is taking place in the London Olympics

At the spice market, minutes away from the Sun House, farmers sell their crop

A Hindu temple in Galle undergoing reconstruction and expansion

Sorry for the killed images - was organizing my G+ library and killed the links.

1.4x magnifier on route, and I'm hoping it plays well with the 90. Perfect for portraits, and I'll probably be able to leave the H4D at home when I travel once I get my hands on a 21 Super-Elmar :)