The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m10 liveview

gooomz

if there is little chance, then why all the uproar about not to have liveveiw and an electronic viewfinder, or are these things m shooters really want?

just wondering.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose they might consider a rangefinder with some form of electronic assist. Liveview is possible with evf or without. Mainly a cmos sensor or if noisy and slow live view, then ccd is I suppose possible.
-bob

StephenPatterson

I think Leica will test the waters with the M10 and it's combined rangefinder and add on EVF. If it bombs (high price, add on EVF a kluge, larger and heavier body) then who knows about the future of the M.

As for me I will continue to happily capture images with my M9s.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There are some, like me, who gave up the M due to strong astigmatism.
If they do as little as electronic focus confirmation, they stand a chance of getting us back.
But form factor has got to be very close to the M9 for it to be an M.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
i have yet to see a focusing improvement for the rf M to be embraced by the Mbase. and I have one of those gravity directed astigmatism optics on my M8

StephenPatterson

I feel the M10 is going to have more in common with the M5 than with the M9. Leica is going to try to cram in as much of last year's technology as possible in an attempt to please everyone while destroying the ergonomics of the M9, which had already pushed the form factor to the limit (IMHO).

There is no way I would mount that god awful X2 EVF on my M9-P, and if that is what Leica is thinking for an even larger bodied M10 then I believe they will well and truly miss the mark. When an M10 becomes the size of a DSLR what's the point?

I would rather see Leica introduce a new body that only has built in eye level electronic viewfinder (no rangefinder) and uses manual focus M lenses while keeping the M9 in production. That's a camera I would purchase.

moreammo

There are some, like me, who gave up the M due to strong astigmatism.
If they do as little as electronic focus confirmation, they stand a chance of getting us back.
But form factor has got to be very close to the M9 for it to be an M.
-bob
Very interesting, i actually use an M9 because of my astigmatism. i can't focus a non rangefinder to save my life but i can still line up the two images :) i do use my left eye instead of my right eye since my right is worse.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting, i actually use an M9 because of my astigmatism. i can't focus a non rangefinder to save my life but i can still line up the two images :) i do use my left eye instead of my right eye since my right is worse.
My problem is monocular diplopia. Basically I see a slight double image all the time. OTOH I have no problem looking at a ground glass and focusing. The image matching in the rf patch is just about impossible for me.
broke my heart LOL
-bob

moreammo

My problem is monocular diplopia. Basically I see a slight double image all the time. OTOH I have no problem looking at a ground glass and focusing. The image matching in the rf patch is just about impossible for me.
broke my heart LOL
-bob
I bet it did, it would mine.

D&A

If I had to take a guess and leica did incorporate live view with the M10, I believe at most they would still have the traditional viewfinder and possibly offer a optional EVF and some other newly developed features. In other words, still have the basic premise of a traditional M body (such as the M9), but incorporate new technology. If by some chance they went beyond this and abandoned the traditional M body and thus take a chance of loosing their current core users, then I would assume that either the M9-P would still remain in production or at the same time (or shortly thereafter), a updated M9 type body would be offered but incorporating the new CMOS sensor that the new M10 will be using. Since the new Monochrom M will be in production, its likely the current M9-P will still remain available, but who really knows at this point.

I therefore could see this non traditional M10 offered concurrently along side a more traditional M9 type body. I would though like to see an adjustable diopter incorporated as part of the design of future M digitals..something that I personally believe is sorely lacking.

Sales of these two different bodies, would eventually dicate which direction things would develop for the future bodies. Interesting times ahead, thats for sure. Now where is that winning lottery ticket when I need one :)

Dave (D&A)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't care about live view.
All I want is a focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder that is in an area approximately where the rf patch is. Oh, and it would be very nice if there were accrue frame lines.
If only Leica made a "Leica" similar to the Fujifilm X100 but with more "Leica-ness"
-bob

segedi

The only electronics I'd like to see in the M10 are the nice frame lines that are in the M9 Titanium, shutter speed, aperture and maybe ISO. I have a couple of stand-ins, GXR and NEX 5n with EVFs and I can hardly wait to replace them with a nice Leica RF patch and a full frame sensor.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't mind live view at all. Would allow for longer lenses and macro. Would make astro work feasible too (if they allow canceling long exposure NR). That plus focus confirm. But all of that is feasible while retaining the optical rangefinder too.

DDudenbostel

I feel the M10 is going to have more in common with the M5 than with the M9. Leica is going to try to cram in as much of last year's technology as possible in an attempt to please everyone while destroying the ergonomics of the M9, which had already pushed the form factor to the limit (IMHO).

There is no way I would mount that god awful X2 EVF on my M9-P, and if that is what Leica is thinking for an even larger bodied M10 then I believe they will well and truly miss the mark. When an M10 becomes the size of a DSLR what's the point?

I would rather see Leica introduce a new body that only has built in eye level electronic viewfinder (no rangefinder) and uses manual focus M lenses while keeping the M9 in production. That's a camera I would purchase.
Has there actually been confirmation from Leica that there is going to be an M10 anytime soon? I was thinking, why would Leica introduce the MM on the M9 platform if an improved camera was going to to be introduced in a couple of months? My guess Is there will be no new M digital or just make minor but expensive upgrades to the M9 like larger and faster buffer and retina quality LCD. Nikon did a buffer upgrade several years ago. Leica could get an extra $1250-/1500 for this.

Hosermage

People already use clunky external VF for wide angle... so I don't see any problem with an detachable EVF that will replace that functionality, and more! It could provide proper framelines for wide angles, enlarge VF for telephoto lens, and of course, have some sort of focus confirmation. With that said, not for me, YET, since I don't have lenses on the two extreme ends, but it would be a nice option if I do go wider or longer.

$0.02

StephenPatterson

There has been no official announcement from Leica, and there will not be until Photokina, but the M10 is in the field now in the hands of testers ahead of the official release next month. Even back in January I was talking with a Leica blogger who had direct knowledge of the EVF/Optical Rangefinder combination. The Leica community is pretty small, and information tends to leak out, especially when a new announcement is only a few weeks away.