The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Returned M8 Maze Pattern - faulty sensor?

jonoslack

Jack: Thought that would elicit a groan or two. :ROTFL:

"That's Amore" appeared in the Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis comedy The Caddy in 1953--the year I was born. The song was written a year earlier. Yes, Dino (aka "Mr. Cool") recorded it, and it became one of his signature tunes.

But you don't have to 1950s-vintage or older to know the song, as it crops up in pop culture all the time. It was used prominently in "Moonstruck" (1987) starring Cher, Nicholas Cage and Olympia Dukakis.

More than you ever wanted to know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thats_Amore

Guy: Why not? it's a perfectly good song. We traveled to Italy a few years ago, and I heard it played in a neighborhood restaurant in Rome. So I was singing along in English, and the locals were singing in Italian, and we had a great time. They were very impressed that I knew it.

Perhaps that motivated this series (film, M4-P, several pictures on the page):
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/italy/amore.htm

--Peter
Hi Peter
You appear to be a year younger than me . . I certainly don't remember much of 1953 - but of course I know the song, and you got the groan you deserve.

I'm happier now - the upgrade is lovely, they appear to have replaced the whole back part of the camera (I assume that was with the LCD update) - so, new buttons and dial, and new LCD. I'm not convinced the vulkanite is more grippy, but it certainly looks nicer!

Hank - I'm not using Capture 1 - although, interestingly, I did send this to Leica, and they said 'Use Capture one - it gets rid of it'!

As far as this photo is concerned - it's easily cured, and I wasn't going to do anything with it anyway - except redirect it to the recycle bin . . . another of those 'not quite' shots.

isaac

Hello!
It isn't the moire pattern - I can deal with that quite easily with the Aperture tool (and it's rare anyway). it's the maze pattern on the roof.
This 'maze pattern' is a result of Adaptive Homogeneity-Directed interpolation (AHD) used in Capture One.
While it is the best choice for Bayer demosaicing for sensors without an AA-filter, sometimes a pattern like yours may occur.
There are many reviews of this behaviour on the web (google for AHD) in comparison to other algorithms, but overall, it is the best method one could choose...