The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using this Euro adapter?

mdwsta4

Traveling to Munich and Prague next month and picked up an adapter for my charger:
Amazon.com: USA US to EU Euro Plug Converter Travel Charger Adapter For Apple iBook/MacBook Compatible with Apple AC Adapters: A1036, M8482,661-2790, 661-2736, 661-3049, 661-3345,A1021,M8943LL/A: Electronics

Currently I use a plug similar to this from my ipod and it works perfectly and is much more portable than the cords that came with my M9. Does anyone have experience with this or something similar? Only thing I'm worried about is getting out there and finding out it doesn't work. We all know how long M9 batteries last and I'll only have two!

Thanks!
M

StephenPatterson

I believe this will work with your Leica charger, but I've never been a fan of the "direct connect" approach of plugging the adapter directly into the Leica charger body. If you read the comments below the adapter there are several complaints about the fit being very tight, and obviously there is a chance you could damage the plastic housing of the Leica charger. For this reason alone I would recommend either using the US power cord with an adapter on the end or purchase a EU connector/cord, as the cord is molded rubber as opposed to the hard plastic of this adapter.

Saying that I do own the official "Apple" international adapter set (I believe it comes with six of these style plugs) and have tried it successfully with my Leica chargers. I still believe the best approach is to use the cable, as I found that when attaching these plugs it sometimes is difficult to plug the entire assembly into the wall socket. This is especially true here in China, where many of the sockets have an on/off switch that prevents the connector/charger from seating completely.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!

algrove

Stephen
This brings up a question from me. What is the "standard" plug in China if they are standardized all over such a large country?

StephenPatterson

Mainland China uses two types of plugs. For most low power devices the two blade type of connector is used, similar to the US but with both blades the same, somewhat narrow width. The US version, with one blade slightly larger, does not always fit. For devices that take more power the connector is a three blade triangular pattern, I believe identical to that used in Australia. In Hong Kong they use the huge British three posts thing, so I have to have adapters for when I travel to the city.

mdwsta4

I did read the comments prior to buying and while it doesn't fit as perfectly as the Apple, I don't think it's all that bad.

That being said, I also just purchased a US --> Euro adapter in case this method doesn't work out.

Thanks!

If you read the comments below the adapter there are several complaints about the fit being very tight, and obviously there is a chance you could damage the plastic housing of the Leica charger. For this reason alone I would recommend either using the US power cord with an adapter on the end or purchase a EU connector/cord, as the cord is molded rubber as opposed to the hard plastic of this adapter.