The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 28 Summilux - Hmmmmm

wattsy

Of course, there's also talk of a new 28 Cron.APO? $7k?
Highly unlikely IMO. Is an APO 28mm lens even a practical proposition?

More likely is a revised lens barrel design and hood arrangement using the same optics as the present Summicron. Such a lens would no longer be prone to having the front of the lens coming loose and it would bring it into line with the other newer lenses that use an externally threaded hood. Leica have form in this regard – revising the mechanics of a lens but sticking to exactly the same optical design – when they introduced the second version of the 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Highly unlikely IMO. Is an APO 28mm lens even a practical proposition?

More likely is a revised lens barrel design and hood arrangement using the same optics as the present Summicron. Such a lens would no longer be prone to having the front of the lens coming loose and it would bring it into line with the other newer lenses that use an externally threaded hood. Leica have form in this regard – revising the mechanics of a lens but sticking to exactly the same optical design – when they introduced the second version of the 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar.
Agree most likely a revised barrel and hood same as on limited edition models . Even though Leica s new products have been higher priced ...I still think they are intending to have a balanced product line with different price points . So I am not assuming that all new lenses will be $7K . Both the 21 and 24 summiluxes are substantial lenses utilizing expensive glass . So that leaves only the 21/24 lux ,the Noctilux and the 50APO above $5K . At least in $$$ we also have a substantial decline in the Euro since the prices were established last .

The question I have is why even have the 28/2 ...the line would be balanced with the 28/2.8 asph and a new 28/1.4 asph ..and pricing would be decent at $3K for the 2.8 version and $6K for the 1.4 version .

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With the latest firmware release indicating a new code for a 28/1.4 the possibility definitely exists that we may soon see a new 28mm M mount lens from Leica, which begs the question in my heart; do I need a 28mm lens?

This is a focal length that I have not owned since my Canon AT-1 days in the 1970s. With my M9 I jump from my most used lens (35 Summilux FLE) to the ultra wide 21/3.4 Super-Elmar-M. My preference for this lens is that the 35 does so many things well, is great for street photography as it does not cause too much distortion with environmental portraits and is fast in low light. I have always felt that when the need arises for wide I might as well go R E A L L Y wide, hence the 21.

And then there's the whole question of price. It's hard to imagine (given the recent 50 Summicron APO pricing) that this would be a $5000 lens (like the 35 Summilux FLE) but will probably be at least $7000-$8500. Hmmm, I may have just answered my own question...
28mm is a great lens on FF!

2/28 for M is a perfect lens!

I doubt I really would need a 1.4/28 :rolleyes:

Paratom

Agree most likely a revised barrel and hood same as on limited edition models . Even though Leica s new products have been higher priced ...I still think they are intending to have a balanced product line with different price points . So I am not assuming that all new lenses will be $7K . Both the 21 and 24 summiluxes are substantial lenses utilizing expensive glass . So that leaves only the 21/24 lux ,the Noctilux and the 50APO above $5K . At least in $$$ we also have a substantial decline in the Euro since the prices were established last .

The question I have is why even have the 28/2 ...the line would be balanced with the 28/2.8 asph and a new 28/1.4 asph ..and pricing would be decent at $3K for the 2.8 version and $6K for the 1.4 version .
I think Leica needs to be careful in this regard. Maybe 28/2.0 is just the rgiht compromise between speed and size. I would not like if the only offer super fast big lenses and small slow lenses in the future.

ashwinrao1

28 cron is good enough for me, by far...fantastic lens..hood needs a re-design...new 28 cron will probably have more contrast, floating element, and a better hood. 28 lux would be pretty big, I suspect....given that the 24 and 21 luxes are much larger than their slower counterparts....

28 takes a back seat to 35 for me, and I have the wonderful 35 FLE...just don't see a need for an ultrafast medium wide option, with a 24 lux and 35 lux FLE already in my kit...but I am sure many will love it...

Like Stephen, an M10 as currently rumored offers very little interest to me, unless they are holding out on something...

algrove

You can replace the large lens hood for the 28/2 several ways . The previous version 35 1.4 asph lens hood is smaller looks similar and fits perfectly . There are short wide hoods for a 46mm size filter on ebay for less than $10 . You have to watch the corners wide open as some work and others don t . Then there is an expensive + $300 metal hood for the 28 thats seen on some of the limited edition sets . Or really do you need one at all? I went with the smaller leica 35/1.4asph hood and found it about perfect .

Any 28/1.4asph just about has to be larger than the 35/1.4asph but smaller than the 24/1.4asph . Leica has said they want to keep future M lenses smaller . It will be larger than the 24/2.8asph for sure .
Roger-
Is that previous 35/1.4 hood you're talking about hood #12504 that comes with lens #11870?