The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Interesting News - Photokina 2012

Godfrey

For one, no TTL on this one. ;)

But there will be on the other one. ;)
LOL!

As usual, I'm content to wait and see what they announce. Listening to rumors is just for the entertainment value.

BTW, I found a nice little book recently:

Covers the highlights of most cameras and lenses Leica introduced from the beginning up to 1980. :)

Hosermage

Not sure how you can get live view without TTL? OVF TTL means some sort of mirror flapping like SLR? So that leaves metering... but what kind of modern day digital M without TTL metering?

I don't think it does anyone any good hinting at stuff like this. If you had the goods from a source, just spill it and be willing to protect your source all the way to the court room. Throwing clues here and there behind a wink and smile only cause more confusion and frustration, when I don't feel it's even necessary. Now PM me the whole story and I'll stop complaining! ;-)

stephengilbert

"Throwing clues here and there behind a wink and smile only cause more confusion and frustration, when I don't feel it's even necessary."

It's necessary if your goal is to elicit pages hits for your website.

Double Negative

Not Available
It's not a "blog site." It's not a "rumor site." It's a place for Leica folks to hang out. Honestly, I don't care if you don't go there. It doesn't make me one red nickel. In fact, I pay out of my pocket to host it. So go - or don't go. Anyway - back to why we're here.

The ME will have a regular RF VF - no EVF, no EVIL.

There. And I didn't even make you go to "that blog site" to read that. You're welcome. ;)

P.S. I can update everywhere I post - or I can update everything in ONE place and provide a link instead. Guess what I'm going with?

Hosermage

The ME will have a regular RF VF - no EVF, no EVIL.

There. And I didn't even make you go to "that blog site" to read that. You're welcome. ;)
Thanks! Now back on topic, but I'm more confused, how will ME be different from M9? FF CMOS sensor? APS-C? Will it really be like a digital CL? Hopefully it will still have TTL metering and an A mode. I guess the price point will be around 4000 USD... I think an used M9 is more attractive.

Double Negative

Not Available
The ME will be closer to the M9 than different. What's a little hazy is the exact specs of the sensor; probably full frame and not APS-C. M mount.

The M10 will have the CMOS, live view, EVF port and video.

Last edited:

StephenPatterson

I'm really confused as to why Leica would make such a camera? Just a smaller M9 with CMOS sensor? I would be much more interested if it only had an EVF with CMOS sensor and live view. That would be a very good companion to my M9-P.

monza

So, this solves the problem of needing to lower the price of the M9 and M9-M even though the M9-M was announced in May and just starting shipping.

So, the lineup would be ME, M9-M, and M10.

I think this makes sense, now, will the price make sense? :) Will it have sapphire and no red dot for $1k more? :ROTFL:

StephenPatterson

I do not think it makes sense to make a lower end version with a mechanical rangefinder, that's just an M9 with different sensor. What I would like to see is a Leica M mount camera that has a built in EVF like the Fuji XPro1. That would be a very useful tool for shooting in very low light or with long lenses. Heck, with an adapter such a camera could even turn M mount lenses into macro lenses.

Peter Klein

All this is just Leica marketing through "trusted friends" to create buzz and pent-up demand in advance of Photokina. And yes, it's fun.

Godfrey

It's weird that people who have been complaining and clamoring for a lower priced Leica M9 now seem to be saying that a rumored model with a less expensive sensor, facilitating a lower price, is irrelevant and uninteresting.

Huh?

D&A

It's weird that people who have been complaining and clamoring for a lower priced Leica M9 now seem to be saying that a rumored model with a less expensive sensor, facilitating a lower price, is irrelevant and uninteresting.

Huh?
I think it all depends how a lower priced Leica M digital is implemented will determine how interesting it is. If its simply a stripped down M, thats going to temper some enthusiam. If it's something akin to a Leica CL in digital form, smaller/lighter than a M9, maybe with some form of cropped CMOS sensor to keep costs down (and priced significantly below an M9) yet due to having CMOS sensor it incorporates good higher ISO performance...then this is something that even current M9 users could envision as a second alternative body as well as attracting those that want an interchangeable M body digital camera but find the cost of an M9 too high financialy.

Yes used M8's are available at a fraction of their original price, but this smaller more compact and lower cost body will have better high ISO performance, lighter weight and priced somewhere between an M9 and X2. No UVIR filters needed either! It might even have a 1.5x crop factor, which will alloow Leica considerable latitude in keeping the price down. Sort of what the original Leica film CL body was supposed to do, marketing wise.

I wonder is they incorporated a shutter that would intergrate with a film like advance lever on the body to recock the shutter (similar to a RD-1) instead of a built the motor ala M9, which would then allow complete silent operation, this camera would have all sorts of innovations for a Leica digital, but with much of the technology that has long existed even in budget midned camera..hence ability to keep the price down. I believe two markets would exist for this camera and relative volume sales will make it profitable.

Lastly I'm sure it would be debatable whether such a camera should have live view and/or EVF etc....but that might change the equation to being able to keep it at an entry level price point, as well as the target audience...traditionalists vs. those that want these modern technologies in such a camera.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

How much further can you strip down a Leica M? It is not like it is a very complicated camera. It does not have live view. No real physical technology that can be taken out--the coupled rangefinder is the most complicated and if it is a rangefinder it hardly seems likely they will remove that. Perhaps they will return to the screw mount?