The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Interesting News - Photokina 2012

V

Vivek

Any low price model is welcome given that a normal lens (real Leica not some 3rd party stuff) costs a pretty penny.

D&A

How much further can you strip down a Leica M? It is not like it is a very complicated camera. It does not have live view. No real physical technology that can be taken out--the coupled rangefinder is the most complicated and if it is a rangefinder it hardly seems likely they will remove that. Perhaps they will return to the screw mount?
I honestly can't say for sure but look at say two models of lower or midrange model DSLR's from Nikon. Similar or same sensor and shutters near identical...just less bells and whistles and an oversimplified layout with a somewhat less robust construction. Yet that alone results in a market spread where one of those models (relatively speaking) is much less expensive from the other). Sure the sum cost difference in parts may only amount to a small amount, but this has always been the way manufactures spread out their various models. More features/capabilities, the higher the costs

A simpler shutter, a film advance lever to recock shutter instead of motor, cropped sensor, smaller body built with less robust parts, simple seperate door(s) for battery and SD card insertion, no removeable costly bottom plate, maybe plastic/polycarbonate fame and external bo
dy parts instead of metal and of course a simplier feature set. Even reduce the type of packaging they use for the M9. Oh, and of course that cropped sensor is CMOS so the high ISO eprformance and compact lighter weight body will attract current M9 users as well as those who'd like to enter the system with a new camera (and a lower price). Just some thoughts.

Shashin, fire up that modified lawn mower engine, get that rubber "assembly line" belt rotating (the ones from the 1930's) and lets get this ball rolling :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

monza

Can't you see it, Vivek? :)

I'd much prefer magnesium (over brass), or plastic-covered magnesium, over a standard M9. Every time I pick up one of my M film bodies I'm amazed how heavy they are...

ashwinrao1

If it's a reasonable facsimile of a CL, but in digital form, and priced appropriately, it'll be a hit. TO be honest, I'd be thrilled to have it include a similar sensor to the M9, to differentiate it from the rest of the crowd. I suspect that this means that the M10 may cost even more....9K...and a stripped down M for the masses for probably around $4k. Problem for Leica is there is now a robust market for used M digitals, including many M9's and M8's still in service (but out of warranty)....

Like others such as Stephen above, it'd be interesting to see an EVIL camera and R lens capacity, but I think there are so many other options out there for this type of adaptability that Leica's targeting what it is good at and unique at: RF's...I'll be curious once announcements are made as to what this will be...I suspect that no EVIL makes this a CCD sensor, without AA....fingers crossed that it's worth it....and cheaper than 4K (I think 3K would sell a LOT of these, and 4K would sell not nearly as many)

Shashin

I honestly can't say for sure but look at say two models of lower or midrange model DSLR's from Nikon. Similar or same sensor and shutters near identical...just less bells and whistles and an oversimplified layout with a somewhat less robust construction. Yet that alone results in a market spred where one of those models (relatively speaking) is much less expensive from the other). Sure the sum cost difference in parts may only amount to a small amount, but this has always been the way manufactures spread out their various models. More features/capabilities, the higher the cots

A simpler shutter, a film advance lever to recock shutter instead of motor, cropped sensor, smaller body built with less robust parts, simple seperate door(s) for battery and SD card insertion, no removeable costly bottom plate, maybe plastic/polycarbonate fame and external budy parts instead of metal and of course a simplier feature set. Even reduce the type of packaging they use for the M9. Oh, and of course that cropped sensor is CMOS so the high ISO eprformance and compact lighter weight body will attract current M9 users as well as those who'd like to enter the system with a new camera (and a lower price). Just some thoughts.

Shashin, fire up that modified lawn mower engine, get that rubber "assembly line" belt rotating (the ones from the 1930's) and lets get this ball rolling :)

Dave (D&A)
Perhaps an M9 Lite. The same CCD with a less expensive body--more plastic and cheaper finish. The M10 may boast a new CMOS with all that come with it.

Naturally, if you ask me next month around the same time, I can probably give a better guess. But bringing down the cost of rangefinder technology and with a 35mm sensor is a really good move--with or without that screw mount.

D&A

Ashwin,

My guess is the way Leica can introduce a lower cost alternative to the M9 yet combat the many M8's and M8.2's on the used market, is to introduce a camera that has a few tricks up it's sleve. One possible way to do this is to use a croped CMOS sensor. This will bring cost down considerably yet provide much better high ISO performance over those M8's and M8.2's..all in a compact form,. In fact it may even have some M9 uses thinking about a second body which has some advantages.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

leicashot

I highly doubt an 'M' would be lower than 6k. Considering the overall price rising of high end cameras, it would bring the Leica M below what other manufacturers are doing, and thus bringing down Leica's market position closer to mass market...and yes the 1DX and D4 are now purchased more so by amateurs than pros.

tjv

Considering Leica are no longer able to replace damaged M8 / M8.2 screens I very much doubt they care about the used digital M market.

EDIT: In addition to the above, as not to sound negative, I actually welcome with open arms any lower cost Leica product. I've very much missed my M system cameras since financial stress forced me to sell my Leica gear. If this new camera is essentially a lower cost M9, hopefully full frame, it would have my full attention.

Double Negative

Not Available
That's fine. But all further updates will be at the original link. I don't have the time to keep everyone, everywhere updated and answer questions.

V

Vivek

DN, You would get more hits (and not much interactive discussions) posting to the rumor site than here.

Double Negative

Not Available
As I explained earlier, I'm not interested in hits (nor is this rumor). I'm updating as I find out more and not everything was immediately known or clear. Thus the updates.

4season

A plastic M-camera may not sound appealing, but if part of a ruggedized, weather-resistant M-system, it might start to look downright sexy!

monza

Not meaning to provoke an argument...but this really is a rumor...until it's announced, at which point, it no longer will be. :)

ramosa

The proverbial "take your ball and go home"?

Sorry ... Long day ... I enjoy your site, especially some of the reviews (e.g., Elmarit-M 90). Please keep it up.

StephenPatterson

I also enjoy DN's site, but agree that the sprinkling of clues and hints is not the best way to build a dedicated following. I appreciate that DN has stated that his site "does not make one nickel" or words to that effect, but it does have sponsors and so cannot strictly be seen as a not for profit venture. Steve Huff's site is also a place to "hang out" but now generates an ever increasing revenue stream.

DN, I appreciate your passion for LVL, but feel that it's not the best form to advertise on GetDPI and other forums where Leica folk gather. If your content is strong people will find you without the need to self promote.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
How much further can you strip down a Leica M? It is not like it is a very complicated camera. It does not have live view. No real physical technology that can be taken out--the coupled rangefinder is the most complicated and if it is a rangefinder it hardly seems likely they will remove that. Perhaps they will return to the screw mount?
The answer is this lower priced body that uses M lenses will now be the manual camera, the real replacement for the M9 feature wise. You completely right the M9 is still mostly twenty year old technology save for the chip, and let's not even discuss value or "features" set against even today's mirrorless bodies.

The M10 will still be the top dog with all the bells and whistles - priced accordingly. From a Leica marketing perspective, they will sell a ton of both, likely all they can produce just like they are with the M9 product. The M10 to all the present M9 owners and most new luxury buyers. The new body will go to mostly wedding pro's not presently using an M, and folks that want to get their feet wet for the cost of a 5D3 + a bit for the red dot on the front. :D

Godfrey

I think it all depends how a lower priced Leica M digital is implemented will determine how interesting it is. If its simply a stripped down M, thats going to temper some enthusiam. If it's something akin to a Leica CL in digital form, smaller/lighter than a M9, maybe with some form of cropped CMOS sensor to keep costs down (and priced significantly below an M9) yet due to having CMOS sensor it incorporates good higher ISO performance...then this is something that even current M9 users could envision as a second alternative body as well as attracting those that want an interchangeable M body digital camera but find the cost of an M9 too high financialy. ...
I'd love it if they made a "digital CL". Or an X2 based body that can take M-mount lenses. Both the CL (I've been fondling the one I just received ... ;-) and the X2 are wonderful cameras ... shape, weight, size, features are all excellent. I've been waiting for this camera to appear for a while.

(The Ricoh GXR with M-mount camera unit is right there too: a dedicated TTL electronic M-mount camera that does a superb job with a huge range of the available M-mount and LTM lenses. The A12 Camera Mount (APS-C format 12Mpixel sensor with no AA filter and corrective optics tuned for RF lenses, focal plane shutter, a host of features) is a $750 purchase. Build that technology into either a CL (with coupled optical rangefinder) or X2 (with LCD and optional high-rez EVF) format body and you have a winner. Make it 'the Leica way' and one will be in my closet quickly.

I'm happy with the M9 as it is. A less expensive M9 ... hmm ... hard to imagine what they'd remove as the M8/M9 are pretty minimalistic as it is. I wouldn't want them to leave out the quality.

But again, I await the real announcements.

D&A

I'd love it if they made a "digital CL". Or an X2 based body that can take M-mount lenses. Both the CL (I've been fondling the one I just received ... ;-) and the X2 are wonderful cameras ... shape, weight, size, features are all excellent. I've been waiting for this camera to appear for a while.

(The Ricoh GXR with M-mount camera unit is right there too: a dedicated TTL electronic M-mount camera that does a superb job with a huge range of the available M-mount and LTM lenses. The A12 Camera Mount (APS-C format 12Mpixel sensor with no AA filter and corrective optics tuned for RF lenses, focal plane shutter, a host of features) is a $750 purchase. Build that technology into either a CL (with coupled optical rangefinder) or X2 (with LCD and optional high-rez EVF) format body and you have a winner. Make it 'the Leica way' and one will be in my closet quickly.

I'm happy with the M9 as it is. A less expensive M9 ... hmm ... hard to imagine what they'd remove as the M8/M9 are pretty minimalistic as it is. I wouldn't want them to leave out the quality.

But again, I await the real announcements.
Exactly! What we both expressed (and I'm sure many others have too) would make a lower prcied alternative interesting. Not just a striped down version of an already exising camera but a new entry level camera that takes interchangeable M lenses ala Leica CL, Ricoh GXR, X2, that has it's own little feature set but clearly being cost effective for both lecia and the consumer is bult into the equation. No one doubted at the time of the CL, that it was clearly a budget made and priced alternative to the Leica M bodies at the time but at the same time, wasn't just a stripped down M4 or whatever M body was the standard at the time.

Dave (D&A)