The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ok to leave m9 battery charging for 2 weeks

gooomz

any bad effects from leaving m9 battery in charger for 2 weeks?

is it bad for the battery to leave it in there after 100% charged?

StephenPatterson

It's a "smart" charger, as is the Lithium Ion M9 battery, so when the chip on board the battery reports full the charger reverts to trickle mode. If you live in a part of the world with a fairly stable power grid (unlike mine here in China) you should be alright.

I never leave my charger plugged in longer than overnight. Besides worrying about transients on the Chinese power lines I know that the Leica chargers and batteries tend to have a finite number of cycles and hours of life, and I try to get the most from both.

BeeWee

Any lithium ion/polymer batteries that is charged above their max voltage (even by 0.1v) can be permenantly damaged and catch fire. As such, pretty much every single lithium battery made for the mass market has some form of circuitry to stop charging once the battery reaches a predefined voltage (this is dependent on the chemistry used on the battery) but is typically somewhere around 4.2v. This is the same reason why you should never charge a lithium battery in a charger that is not spec'ed for your specific type of lithium battery.

For more info check out: Understanding RC LiPo Batteries