The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Welcome to the M8 world.

J

Jamie Roberts

Yeah, and I'm here too, late to the party, but I wanted to say congratulations on this very slick-looking and well behaving forum!

Nice to see so many familiar names (and avatars) out there too!

carstenw

I have a minor question with regards to the look of the site (my usual quest for simplicity :))

For each post, the box has, starting at the top and going down: a dark red line, a thin grey line, a fat red date bar, a thin grey line, a title on dark grey, a thin grey line, and then the text and so on. Is it possible to make the first thin grey line dark red, to simplify the look a little? I find that although the colour scheme is gorgeous, there is a lot of stuff for the eye to catch on, and a tiny bit simpler would help a lot. Sorry for harping on about this, it is not serious, just something I notice.

(I just played around a bit, and what I mean is if you change background from "#999999" to something like "#454545" in the .tborder section. The total amount of visual clutter drops dramatically, while leaving the lines in place. By the way, if you change "background" from "#5c7099" to "#4b1108" in .tcat and .thead, then the funny temporary blue colour goes away completely.)

Last edited:
F

fotografr

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been kind of busy since signing up here but will get more involved at some point in the very near future.

Now, off to the shower, then the big game (Michigan at Wisconsin)!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Carsten sounds like you played with this software before. I will give it a try when Jack and Andy get back in town. Want to make sure I have my backup person to reload if i get in trouble. BTW do you know how to do banners , google adsense and links on the big outside border. I want to give links to each store and OEM and people like reidreviews some. We still are building it and jack and I are waiting until I finish this book to work on it more. i will be done next week but this sucks about 15 hours a day out of me. I am working on a program book for a Model and talent convention that my wife runs. I do this twice a year act as Designer but there are 1800 images that i correct and size and all that stuff, nightmare project but pays the bills. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I have a minor question with regards to the look of the site (my usual quest for simplicity :))

For each post, the box has, starting at the top and going down: a dark red line, a thin grey line, a fat red date bar, a thin grey line, a title on dark grey, a thin grey line, and then the text and so on. Is it possible to make the first thin grey line dark red, to simplify the look a little? I find that although the colour scheme is gorgeous, there is a lot of stuff for the eye to catch on, and a tiny bit simpler would help a lot. Sorry for harping on about this, it is not serious, just something I notice.

(I just played around a bit, and what I mean is if you change background from "#999999" to something like "#454545" in the .tborder section. The total amount of visual clutter drops dramatically, while leaving the lines in place. By the way, if you change "background" from "#5c7099" to "#4b1108" in .tcat and .thead, then the funny temporary blue colour goes away completely.)
I tried the first one Carsten and it did help but I did not like it ( thread section looked bad) so I made it darker some and I think it is not as glaring. The second one I can't do because it takes away the burgandy gradient and I don't want to do that one . Jack made that and not sure how to get that one back. I think Andy has to do something on his end in reloading us without the first default behind it. i have to get onto to VBulletin and get advice on that one. But we have noticed it and it is annoying at times and we will fix that one. We will fix that one this week sometime

Thanks Guy

stephengilbert

fotografr,

At the risk of starting an insane excursion into sports, here :"The Big Game" is Cal/Stanford. (I root for neither.)

Guy Mancuso

Steve via your PM . Look you can see where I am from. It is in the Control Panel for each user under profile to put location. Check yours for me . Trying to find that control on the admin side but it maybe the users choice

JoeB

Guy,

I have been following you around since the FM DMR days. You have helped me with my DMR and now my M8's. Nice to have a comfortable place to roost. Thank you for setting up this board.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Thank You Joe, nice to have you here and have to say this WILL be a comfortable place to roost. Just been to a couple other sites and i am sick at all the insults going around. Trust me it won't happen here. Jack and I are driving this ship with excellent moderation also. We want a home not a boxing arena. You folks have Carte Blanche but I know when to stop a war.

Guy Mancuso

Steve via your PM . Look you can see where I am from. It is in the Control Panel for each user under profile to put location. Check yours for me . Trying to find that control on the admin side but it maybe the users choice
Steve location option is not available in the member list. Also we kept that info to a minimum but location is not a option. If folks want to show there locations they have to put that in in there control Panel under user profiles and add there location. I see a couple members that did that and it shows on there posts.

Although if you are in the member list you click my name and my profile will show up and i have my location right there. So that info comes from the members themselves.

On a personal note I do like to see folks locations also , kind of neat to see others from far away lands.

carstenw

I tried the first one Carsten and it did help but I did not like it ( thread section looked bad) so I made it darker some and I think it is not as glaring. The second one I can't do because it takes away the burgandy gradient and I don't want to do that one . Jack made that and not sure how to get that one back. I think Andy has to do something on his end in reloading us without the first default behind it. i have to get onto to VBulletin and get advice on that one. But we have noticed it and it is annoying at times and we will fix that one. We will fix that one this week sometime

Thanks Guy
Cool, it already looks much calmer, something I really appreciate as I am a programmer, and stare at monitors way too much already :)

Guy Mancuso

Great thanks Carsten, i think we may have had it a little bright it does look better. The other fix is a programming issue that i don't want to touch without Andy and Jack around. Were getting there just takes a little time. Honestly we don't want to junk it up either.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Thanks Guy
The other more relevant issue is changing the global background color settings affect maybe how six different areas display, not just the forums. So a change that may look "better" to somebody in the forums can make another area look bad, or in some cases un-readable. We made dozens of subtle changes to get ALL affected areas to display well. As such, I am not too inerested in making global changes now. We can look into loading a few free alternative skins to have you select an alternate view for yourself, but these woud not be customizable --- you'd get default gold, blue, red or gray views. In the end, we hope the current graphics are at least adequate for now and prefer to focus our energy on building quality content for the membership.

Cheers,

Attachments

carstenw

Jack, I agree with your sentiment. I am happy for now, and will send very targetted requests if I spot anything else I think could be better. I do like the colours, but I think that something easy on the eyes is more important in the long run. If I end up spending as much time here as I have in LUF, I might hire someone to find better settings :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hear you Carsten! The problem is I'm not a coder, and we didin't really even find a skin for purchase we liked better than what we have, the free ones even less so. What we really need is some hot-shot code writer to build us three or four skins that we like, and load them all up. Maybe doable if I win the lottery --- or can find a really smart high school kid that needs afew bucks :D

Cheers, and thanks for understanding!

Jack

Farnz

... i am sick at all the insults going around. Trust me it won't happen here. Jack and I are driving this ship with excellent moderation also. We want a home not a boxing arena.
Me too, Guy! Looking forward to participating in a thoroughly enjoyable and informative forum.

Hi to all from ... erm ... "sunny" London

Pete