The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Acquisition - 80/1.4

PeterA

you guys think an M8 on one shoulder a DMR on the other with the Alpa around the neck might be overkill? :ROTFL::ROTFL:??

W

workingcamera

Actually no… though I might need to readjust as I get older

But you still want the 75 Lux?

PeterA

Leaving tomorrow Craig - but thanks for your kind offer mate. I think that you will be ready for digi when the full frame R or M comes out - the 10 megapixel files kill the Canon stuff all jokes aside..so I know someone who has a 1dsmk11 and a bunch of L lenses for sale. :cool:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
thanks a lot Woody, I got so paralysed of fear that I couldn't speak myself :D
just bought some R lenses, e.g. one of them a nice Elmarit R 2.8/19mm

fotografz

Jack

Not even Leica would make such a marketing mistake. They might sell 10 bodies if you have to buy new autofocus lenses to make it work. Just MHO

woody
Yes, if they were bent on corporate suicide, that would be the move to make.

But let's not forget Canon and what they did, which turned out to be a stellar move on their part, no matter how ill conceived it appeared at the time.

The R10 with a new mount would have to wipe the floor with anything out there by a huge margin to attract well beyond this group of fuddy-duddies and their king's ransom in R glass ... me included.

Just give my old fuddy-duddie eyes in-viewfinder focus confirmation using the current mount, and I'm a happy camper. 35/1.4 & 80/1.4 @ f/1.4 with focus confirmation ... ahhhhhhh : -)

If there were a couple of wide to mid-range AF zooms and decent TTL flash control, I could toss off the Canon yoke forever.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Leica HAS to support the existing mount in some way or yes it will be corporate suicide IMHO. Honestly I think Rom is the answer to the R10. Those contacts can feed a lot of info between lens and body. They just need to find a way to make there AF zooms if there going to make them and new current lenses all work within that mount and my guess ROM is the key to the system

Guy Mancuso

Really this R10 does not have to be that much different functional than the DMR.
Intergrated system all in one body
Full Frame
22mpx
CCD No AA filter
16bit
Fast Buffer
3fps
Some Af lenses
Manual Lenses focus confirmation
Great finder big and bright

After those basics maybe some small improvements like a 3 inch LCD and tethered support.

Now you bring a camera out like that and look out I am all over it like a cheap suit.

I already asked to test it and you know I will be the first kid on the block to own it because i am a really sick person that loves the challenge.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: I will never learn to be patient.

fotografz

You guys got me all fired up, and I couldn't go shoot something 'cause I'm stuck at home.

So I bolted it on the DMR and fire off a few quick shots around the house ... the light sucked, but this lens actually helps improves what light you have ... just love how the DOF falls off.

Last edited:
W

workingcamera

Now that is true bokeh!

I love how this lens responds close up and wide open… I know its technically wrong, strictly speaking, but it just looks so good.

fotografz

Old lens , Old design but the look never fades.
You know, it's the actual lens itself that's so confident feeling. Old time Rock 'N Roll lens with a kind of Pit Bull staunchness and silky focus. Frankly, I despise most lenses without an aperture ring.

The 80/1.4 along with the 35/1.4 are the main reasons I continued on with the R system. They have, and continue to be my most used focal lengths in any system. I've owned just about every 80 or 85 out there including the Contax f/1.2 & f/1.4 versions, Nikon f/1.4 and Canon f/1.2s ... and none has the character of this lens ... something is always lacking in comparison.

I actually would NOT like to see these two R lenses updated to more modern ASPH and APO versions, as I'm sure they would lose that unique character. I also honestly believe that Leica made an error in judgement by dropping the 75 Lux from the M system.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Both the M 75 Lux and the R 80 are the same design from Mandler and date from 1980.

Jack also said the R 35 Lux was one of his favorites for the R system. I have the 35 Cron and love it for the size and weight but I will have to look at the 35 Lux. Also, I don't have a 50 and wonder how the 50 Lux compares to these two. Maybe an older E55 50 Lux would have a similar look.

Guy Mancuso

You know, it's the actual lens itself that's so confident feeling. Old time Rock 'N Roll lens with a kind of Pit Bull staunchness and silky focus. Frankly, I despise most lenses without an aperture ring.

The 80/1.4 along with the 35/1.4 are the main reasons I continued on with the R system. They have, and continue to be my most used focal lengths in any system. I've owned just about every 80 or 85 out there including the Contax f/1.2 & f/1.4 versions, Nikon f/1.4 and Canon f/1.2s ... and none has the character of this lens ... something is always lacking in comparison.

I actually would NOT like to see these two R lenses updated to more modern ASPH and APO versions, as I'm sure they would lose that unique character. I also honestly believe that Leica made an error in judgement by dropping the 75 Lux from the M system.
I agree Marc this is one thing that makes leica unique is lenses like this. The 75 lux should have not been discontinued IMHO. The 80 and 35 in the r are the look lenses. The new R 50mm Lux is the same as the M 50mm both really great lenses also.

J

Jamie Roberts

IMO, the 80 R is almost enough reason to justify purchasing a R9/DMR! (I know I could use one on my 5D with an adapter, but it just isn't the same.)
True--it ain't as good as the DMR. But it's not bad either, LOL!!

By accident I shot a couple of duplicates with the R80 and a 5d and the M8 and the -- Noctilux :) And they look soooo close it's not even funny!

Here's another R80 / 5d shot though, in the meantime, at around 1.6-ish...

View attachment 1142

(lord knows I should be shooting these with the DMR, but the 5d is just handy at the time ;))

J

Jamie Roberts

Thanks very much! I see you're doing great stuff with that 80R too (those pool player shots are really interesting).

PSon

True--it ain't as good as the DMR. But it's not bad either, LOL!!

By accident I shot a couple of duplicates with the R80 and a 5d and the M8 and the -- Noctilux :) And they look soooo close it's not even funny!

Here's another R80 / 5d shot though, in the meantime, at around 1.6-ish...

View attachment 1142

(lord knows I should be shooting these with the DMR, but the 5d is just handy at the time ;))
Jamie: You really put the Leica 80 R into great applications. I used to do wedding myself and seeing the image of the bride like this inside her home is special. Besides the choice of lens and the F stop, the light and composition made the photo. This is an example where knowing the lens character and stopping down a tad to get enough resolving power and yet retain lovely bokeh. At F1.6 there should be plenty of ambient light in the background.