The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

D&A

These are amazing Ashwin , love love love them.
+1 ! Love all the geometirc patterns, very effective in B&W. Aswin, I'm trying to wrap my head around image #3. It appears to be some sort of library or video rental location, but what is the appearance of those blades of outdoor grass at the top of the image? There also appears to be rectangle blocks outlining groups of blades? Is this part of the image some sort of mural? Trying to sort it all out...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

The illusion to me is as though those glass cases (with video?) and the people next to them are standing on a roof of a building. The ends of the cases appear to extend beyond the rooftop overhang looking down to large blades of folliage...except there are rectangle framing around those blades of grass. I'm sure there is a simple explanation and maybe it was designed with this illusion in mind or simply the way the photograph was taken. :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Hi Dave and Chris,
First off, thanks! Dave, the Seattle Central library has giant carpet murals that are patchworks of blades of grass. It makes for a unique organic/on/metal look to the library's visualization. I thkn that it was, as you suggested, an intended illusion, coupled with how I angled the capture ;). Thanks, as always, my friend, and I have continued to enjoy the 645D, by the way ;)

D&A

Thanks for the explanantion Ashwin! By shooting from above (looking down), you apparently accentuated the illusion. It really does appear as though the metal cabinets extend beyond the edge of the flooring and then the blades of grass are on a lower level below. Interesting! Nice to hear you're continuing to shoot with the 645D (as I am). Different systems for very different shopoting circumstamces, in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

skimmel

Dishcloth with MM and 35 Summilux.
This is spectacular. I love the composition and the tones. I noticed you have a similar B&W still life in the Gallery shot with the M9. Any thoughts on how they compare for this kind of work (or any kind of work)?

Thanks.

jayt

This is spectacular. I love the composition and the tones. I noticed you have a similar B&W still life in the Gallery shot with the M9. Any thoughts on how they compare for this kind of work (or any kind of work)?

Thanks.
sorry but im not that tech savvy but the M has so much more detail in shadows and i love it. i had the M9 with me yesterday with the lux 50mm but kept going back to the M and wish i had two. will try to post larger images next time. thanks for the kind words.

Petster

Some impressions from the Porsche Museum. I love cars... ;)

All with the Monochrom and Nocti f/0.95.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Pete

P.S. Loving classic cars as much as I do? Here are a few more.

downstairs

Skimmel, Thanks! No comparison. I mostly shoot b&w and the The MM does does it right out of the box without cheating. A little care exposing for whites and all the rest is there on the file handle with a simple curve. I can simulate the same atmosphere with an M9 with three bracketed shots, hdr and colour conversion.

skimmel

Skimmel, Thanks! No comparison. I mostly shoot b&w and the The MM does does it right out of the box without cheating. A little care exposing for whites and all the rest is there on the file handle with a simple curve. I can simulate the same atmosphere with an M9 with three bracketed shots, hdr and colour conversion.
Thanks. Are you using filters on your lenses?

m_driscoll

Tuesday night at the Westin. A happy crowd.

M-M; 35mm f/1.4; 1/125s; ISO 5000

M-M; 35mm f/1.4; 1/125s; ISO 3200

M-M; 35mm f/1.4; 1/45s; ISO 6400

M-M; 35mm f/1.4; 1/45s; ISO 6400

Cheers, Matt

borge

Thanks to everyone for posting some great photographs in this thread. It's very inspiring to see all your work.

I received my B+W 46mm MRC yellow, yellow/orange and red color filters from Adorama yesterday. It only took about 1 1/2 months to get them delivered :)

I'll start doing some tests with these today and probably upload a bunch of examples and comparisons within the next week.

fotografz

First real shoot with the MM. Very large wedding with a non-stop 11 hour shoot schedule :eek:

More importantly, first shoot with both of my eyes fixed (severe cataracts removed and Toric lenses implanted to correct astigmatism). My favorite camera of all time, the M camera, is back in the game big time. :thumbs:

High end wedding where I used the MM for about 600 available light images. Used a range of ISOs at will depending on ambient conditions. Mostly in the 2000-3200 range in darker situations ... rarely below 1000. Used the S2 otherwise. Used a 21/1,4ASPH, 35/1.4ASPH, 50/1.4ASPH and a few shots with a 90/2.8

The reception speeches are usually in such dark conditions that flash is required ... no so with the MM.

Great camera ... a classic M experience harkening back to when I only shot B&W film in any M camera. I was a bit worried about the less than stellar M9 LCD, which was a non-issue with the MM, especially in quick candid situations.

No filters employed. Wouldn't have time to fuss with filters on a shoot like this anyway. Didn't miss them either. Nik Silver effects has so many selections and combinations that I got the tonal seperations I wanted in almost every case.

Hard to see the qualities in sub one meg web uploads, but the prints are nothing short of spectacular.

-Marc

(Click on image to see larger version).

Last edited:

fotografz

Hmmm, the uploads look a wee bit crispy compared to the actual files ... I guess using PS6 Bicubic Automatic is not the thing to do when downsizing MM files.

Anyway, maybe just Bicubic will preserve the look better?

Here are a few more. While out and about doing Fall color formals, we stopped at a famous Burger joint in our area for some sliders.

I used the S2 and the MM for these ... they seem to get along with one another quite nicely.

-Marc

JPL

Hi there, for my first post here i just feel the need to post one of the first sight with the MM - seems a very enjoable camera!

All the best
JP

downstairs

Old wine in new bottles. Shot today- the set is still standing. A Taylor&Hobson screw-mount Summarit f1.5 50mm on the MM.