The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

ghoonk

I have decided to bite the bullet and I am on the list at my local Leica shop. A couple of my film cameras will have to go to appease my wife but looking at the Dancer shot I think I am making the right decision. Love shooting low light and MM seems to handle it exceptionally well.
I'm with you on this. There's a pretty good likelihood I'm getting myself on the MM bandwagon by the end of the year!

ashwinrao1

Borrowing the Monochrom for my NYC trip, and posting a few pics while en route....all edited on my 11 inch MacBook Air, so it won't be until I get home that I can really test the latitude of these files. I am thoroughly enjoying the experience so far (thanks Matt Driscoll!!!):

Plus a few from my brother's wedding

m_driscoll

Nice work Ash! Looking forward to seeing some more. See you tomorrow...I hope? :D

Here's a few. I guess, I'll post here too. There's three M-M's in seattle, that I know of. Not counting a rented one.

Cheers, Matt

CharlesK

Woody, great series and examples!
Ashwin, excellent set of shots! The M-M is dangerous in your hands:D :D
Matt, great stuff! The depth and richness of tones is magic:)

Shots from this afternoon with a couple seasoned pros for critique and review, Ian Poole, and Cam Attree. Of course the M-M had to be tested!
M-M 50 Nocti f/1.0 @ f/1.2 1250 ISO

V

Vivek

MM + DR sumicorn + IR filter. Not very practical - the MM clearly has excellent IR filtering - shooting in IR requires roughly 10 stops of additional exposure.

I'm finding that it's ok to let highlights blow if the subject warrants it.

Woody, Much appreciated! :)

ashwinrao1

Thanks, Vivek!

A few more to share: Importing MM images into Nik SilverEfex makes for some fun and easy manipulation. Figured I'd present a few edits from Nik'ized versions of images:

m_driscoll

Denver, CO: The Oxford Hotel and LoDo at night.

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 6400

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; -1/3 EV; ISO 5000

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 2500

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/90s; ISO 2500

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/90s; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 1000

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 1600

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/125s; +1/3 EV; ISO 320

Cheers, Matt

Godfrey

Delightful photos, folks.

The worst thing about this MM thread is that I want one of them too now. Dang you all. ;-)

V

Vivek

Delightful photos, folks.

The worst thing about this MM thread is that I want one of them too now. Dang you all. ;-)
+1.

With no disrespect to anyone here, I periodically look for MM images on the web. Really striking image quality all around!

Petster

After following the fun with the Leica M thread for quite some time I happy to be able to post from now on in this thread. :)

First three with the 50mm Summicron, the last one with the Nocti f1.

V

Vivek

After following the fun with the Leica M thread for quite some time I happy to be able to post from now on in this thread. :)

First three with the 50mm Summicron, the last one with the Nocti f1.
Fabulous! Particularly the first one! :thumbs: