The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

V

Vivek

mmbma, That is a brave thing to do! Do you have any filters for that monster?

In my sample the focus is off thanks to a local repair genius. :mad:

erudolph

In the corridor at Davies Symphony Hall. 50mm cron, yellow filter, ISO 500.

I am so enjoying the variety of looks shown here. As much as I enjoy the higher key images, I find myself making moodier ones.

Jeff S

A few recent shots ...

First a few street portraits:
Apart from the superb portraits themselves, I really like your processing interpretations. Can you share any insights on the software and approach used with these particular street shots?

Jeff

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Jeff,

The more that I shoot with the MM and experiment with the files, the more room I'm finding I have to push them around to get rich blacks without losing too much detail. I shot with the M8 and the M9 in the past, but am finding that there's a bit more subtlety in the tones available in the files to work with in the MM. I'm not big on presets, so I usually start with a few adjustments and then change it up for each file depending on what I want the final image to look like.

As a result, I can mimic some of the same things I was seeing in my S2 shots that I convert to black and white. In most of these shots, I'm dialing back exposure by -1/3 to -2/3 stops. In a majority of the shots I've also added an ND filter. That gives me a nice dark, rich file to start with. From there, I use Lightroom for a few simple tweaks. In some instances, I'll take a further step and run the file through Silver EFX 2 to add a little bit more structure. I probably spend about 3-4 minutes of time on each photo.

The bottom line is that the MM delivers amazing files full of an infinite number of looks depending upon how you want to shape them. I'd encourage anyone that wants to expand what their Monochrom is delivering to simply take a file and spend some time working on a few radically different versions of a single image. Moving around and experimenting with the sliders in Lightroom is a great and simple way to start. After some time you find that a look that works for you. What I like tends to change from day to day and week to week.

The great thing about a camera like the MM is that if that is the way you like to work, the possibilities are endless.

I hope that helps.

Jeff S

Thanks so much, Kurt; I appreciate your taking time to elaborate.

I currently use the M8.2, deciding against the M9, as I prefer the b/w output from the former. I, too, use LR for processing, although I have no experience with EFX2. (Any quick comments, if that's even possible for a non-user, on what controls allow for 'more structure' is welcome.) The print is always my goal, so I focus quite a bit on workflow beyond LR...papers, profiles, printer settings, etc.

I was a film user for decades, having built multiple darkrooms over the years for b/w. I've been tempted by the MM, but frankly have gotten spoiled by not having to use lens filters (other than the UV/IR filters that just stay locked in place for my M8.2), as well as being able to use color channels in LR for my PP. In addition, although I don't rely on screen shots for my camera evaluation (preferring to make my own prints with my own pics), much of what I've seen online has been lacking for me. Your files, though, are closer to what I like to see, so that makes me rethink the MM's capabilities and whether I ought to rent an MM for test.

In the meantime, my next objective was to test the new M. IQ, both b/w and color, will be paramount, and if that holds I welcome the weather sealing, quieter shutter, faster processing and longer battery life, 2m frame lines and the possibility for longer lenses. But none of that matters if the IQ isn't sufficient for my needs and preferences.

Now you've gone and complicated my thought process.:)

Jeff

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Jeff, try to spend some time with the MM if you can ... I really think you'll be impressed. I or no one else here need provide any kind of sales job as I think you'll find that files will do all of the talking.

There's a lot less brittleness to MM files compared to the M8. That means that you'll find quite a bit more detail you can push around. The mid tones on the MM are also in a different league than the M8.

The files are flexible enough that filters aren't a necessity. Again, because there is so much latitude in the raw files I'm of the belief that you can impact the file in post just as easy with contrast through a program like Lightroom. I purchased red, yellow and orange filters but have used them once. They take away my flexibility in Lightroom. I've used an ND filter more recently when I'm dealing with the direct equatorial sun here in the Philippines. The most important advice I can give anyone shooting with the MM is to underexpose to prevent blown highlights.

In EFX2 there is a structure slider that is similar to the clarity slider in Lightroom ... it just sort of amplifies the detail. Too much detracts from the image, but it can provide a little bit more dimensionality if applied carefully.

It seems counter-intuitive to recommend any new camera that includes an LCD from the age of Pong and without any of the other improvements of the new M ... but boy does the camera just grab you once you start shooting with it.

ashwinrao1

Wonderful series, Kurt...I love the moments aand people that you have captured, and there's really magic in your images...

Ed, I love how you are imaging with the M, and the positions that you are using for the figures in your compositions...

Vivek, congrats on the MM, and lovely snaps.

Jeff S

Good stuff, Kurt, and nice to know that things can be kept simple with filters. I still fear not having use of color channels in PP, but that's probably something that I'd learn to work with, just like anything else.

I think I'll look into rental, preferring to have complete info before committing to the next gear phase. I'm not one to readily change equipment, not until I perceive a real need or else sense an opportunity for something that can improve my work. The M8 has taken me on a good journey, but the time is ripe for some exploration.

Again, many thanks.

Jeff