The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

V

Vivek

Photomeme, While I appreciate your filter experiments and sharing the results, I would like to point out that the MM is essentially a blue-green sensor. If you have a BG filter, look through it and add any filter to it to see the potential effects (also go to sensor clean mode and look at the sensor).

B+W spectral transmission curves: http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/filters/FilterTransmissionCurves.pdf

Green suppressor, redhancer and such are of very limited use.

photomeme

I can't make heads or tails of this comment Vivek, frankly.

You can read Leica's chart of the MM's spectral sensitivity here:

http://www.digoliardi.net/monochrom_color.pdf

The MM deep sensitivity into the reds -- moreso than Kodak T-Max -- lower at an earlier point in the spectrum but with a much long tail than films has been widely discussed on the forums and and blogs such as

ChromaSoft: The Leica M Monochrom's spectral sensitivity

A slight green bias does not mean an "essentially blue green sensor", that's ridiculous to say.

Filtration that favors reds, a straight B+W 090 or 091 (Wratten 25 or 29) has a profound effect on MM images, as does a Wratten 44 or 44a, simulating orthochromatic.

The impact of a B+W 40 M or 40 C, merely suppressing rather than blocking greens or reds, respectively, is also significant for manipulating/targeting the capture of midtones depth.

My experience runs so counter to your observation, the differences so apparent in my control images, I'm speechless. (But can still type).

Clearly, B&W filter arcana is not for everyone.

I won't post any further experiments here.

Photomeme, While I appreciate your filter experiments and sharing the results, I would like to point out that the MM is essentially a blue-green sensor. If you have a BG filter, look through it and add any filter to it to see the potential effects (also go to sensor clean mode and look at the sensor).

B+W spectral transmission curves: http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/filters/FilterTransmissionCurves.pdf

Green suppressor, redhancer and such are of very limited use.

Last edited:

erudolph

Using the Publish to Flickr function of LR, I find that if I change any of the settings on the dng, the image is flagged for republishing. If I accidentally republish, the link from getdpi to flickr is broken. Live and learn. Both images taken with MM and 50AA.

Neighborhood sight. At dusk, one of the few vacant lots:

I am a nervous driver and it's hard to take photos on the freeway, but I like this second photo for numerous reasons, none of which have to do with technical quality.

Godfrey

Some marvelous photos in this thread! I would really love a Monochrom now ...

Um... NO!
What I would really love is the time to use the equipment I already have now, and then maybe some day soon adding an MM into my kit.

G
Time and Money. You rarely have both together.

ashwinrao1

MM and Rigid 50 'cron, still my favorite lens on the MM...

Leitz 90 mm f/2.8 elmarit (v1)

8-element 35 mm f/2 Summicron (v1)

And a couple silly ones, with the same lenses as above: