The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

m_driscoll

We went to the annual Wallingford Wurst Festival at my daughter's old K - 8 school. We haven't been in a while (our daughter's 27, now), since mandatory 'volunteer' work for 9 years burned us out. I wanted to photograph the nasty carnys and their scarily, decrepit, unsafe rides.

Bummer! They'd been replaced with 'safe' inflatable toys. Here's a few shots. All with M-M and 35mm f/1.4 FLE.

Cheers, Matt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is where I get in Lightroom after experimenting with adjustments to look film-like (I've shot and scanned a few rolls of T-Max 100 and Delta 100 to provide a current film benchmark).

Woody

Excellent test you have retained the DR while creating a nice balanced contrast ..looks like a test negative . Looks like tri x without the grain.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
After following the fun with the Leica M thread for quite some time I happy to be able to post from now on in this thread. :)

First three with the 50mm Summicron, the last one with the Nocti f1.

Great image quality ..you can really see the lens character in the first image .

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Some terrific images on this thread. From dinner tonight, with an f.95 nocti. Illuminated by candlelight.

Last edited:

downstairs

Woody, Not even the Monochrom can hold together bright whites and unfilled shadow tones so HDR comes to the rescue. The idea is to just barely compress the extremes to within limits of the printer. Lighting is just an uncontrolled soft-box with a little feathering on the near side. I do it with negatives too, because the scanner range can also do with some help.

Petster

Woody, Not even the Monochrom can hold together bright whites and unfilled shadow tones so HDR comes to the rescue. The idea is to just barely compress the extremes to within limits of the printer. Lighting is just an uncontrolled soft-box with a little feathering on the near side. I do it with negatives too, because the scanner range can also do with some help.
I am not a big fan of HDR too, but when used so subtil the result is pretty attractive. In my opinion this is a very thin line, which is easily to cross and then it becomes too artificial.

There are some very nice portraits in your gallery. :)

m_driscoll

Nuanced use of HDR, which I usually dislike, but this is terrific. Could you tell us a bit more about how you did this? It may be that the real key is the controlled lighting.
Downstairs: +1! Really beautiful. Thanks for the info and the link. Excellent work. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

A few recent snaps.

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 500

M-M; 75mm f/2; 1/1500s; ISO 320

M-M; 75mm f/2.5; 1/750s; -1/3 EV; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I did something odd for a recent trip to Bermuda. I only brought my MM. That's right, grayscale only in pink sand heaven. And four lenses: f.95 nocti; 40mm Summicron-C (fixed to bring up the 35mm frame lines); 24mm lux; 18mm super elmar.

Here we go:

Last edited: