The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

ashwinrao1

Woody has it right, Jono. Mine has the same optics and general cosmetic look as the Dual Range Summicron but without an attachment for the eyes, just as Woody stated. It's the 2nd version of the 'cron that came after the collapsible 1st version that HCB apparently adored. I love the rigid cron's look. It's not quite critically sharp wide open (but it's adequate and forgiving for portraiture wide open), but by f/5.6, it's just as good and sharp as anything modern, and the look, contrast, etc...is forgiving and classic. It's an undervalued lens, but then again, I think Leica made a ton of these...Build quality is amazing. And prices are on the rise, albeit more gradually. I got a pristine copy from Robert (tele-player) 2 years ago for under $1K USD, but prices for a clean cosmetically and optically copy are a bit more now....

I am with Woody that this lens DEFINES the classic Leica look. Spherical aberations and what not are reasonably controlled, and the lens was once rated as the sharpest ever made back in the 60's, so it's got plenty of that.

It's a rich lens that will duly reward anyone who uses it. Jono, you need one my friend. Thorsten Overgaard also seems to love the lens, and has plenty of examples of the lens taken with the M9.

V

Vivek

Old. Late '50s early '60s. It's called the rigid chron because the model that preceded it was collapsable. Same optics as the dual range summicron. These lenses have the most satisfying finish and build quality of any lens that I know of. There are a lot of them on ebay right now. Prices have roughly doubled in the past year. The Dual Range summicron has the advantage of a close focus range (which you'll be able to use on the M(no number) with the EVF) but you have have to have the close focus cam machined off (DAG can do it for a reasonable price) or it won't fit on a digital M body. It defines (to me) the classic Leica rendering. At f5.6 and above contrast and acutance are on a par with modern lenses corner to corner. At F4.0 really good. At f2.0 kinda dreamy. It has a tendency to flair but that may be the key to the look.
If you have the brochure/manual for this lens, you may want to look go through it. You can simply unscrew the lens head and should be able to use it with one of the Leica doodahs for even closer focus- on the M (no name) with live view. Quite neat.

EDIT: This refers only to the DR Summicron.

V

Vivek

I am with Woody that this lens DEFINES the classic Leica look. Spherical aberations and what not are reasonably controlled, and the lens was once rated as the sharpest ever made back in the 60's, so it's got plenty of that.
I think one of the aspects of the "classic Leica look" comes from spherical aberrations. This (V2 and V3) has quite a bit of that to offer. Only with the Asph lenses, this aberration is controlled (and hence the lessened "Leica look").

ashwinrao1

Ah, a point of much debate. I think spherical aberrations define the look of certain Leica lenses that are known for glow (Noctilux, 35 lux pre-asph), but not all. The rigid cron is far better controlled than these lenses, but still has a character that's unique and rich (probably due in some part to aberrations, for sure, but also due to coatings and elements/glass used during that era)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Antique tractor pull at the Warren CT Fall Festival. I had the wrong lens on the camera - framing and focusing of the 135 are really hit or miss with the emphasis on miss. Lovely lens when it works but I think it will have to wait for the EVF.

ashwinrao1

Sheesh, Woody, those last 2 are amazing, particularly the top of the 2...you are making a strong argument for the Rigid/DR Cron to be a go-to lens on the MM.

D&A

+1 I can't quite place my finger on it, but that 1st image Woddy reminds me of many similar scenes I've seen in 1940 & 1959 B&W mainstream movies, as an opening shot of the landscape to set the scene for location in the countryside. If you shot that same image in color, I wouldn't have struck a chord. That and your image underneith it are lovely.

Dave (D&A)

m_driscoll

Pike Place Market.

M-M; 75mm f/2.5; 1/4000s; ISO 320

M-M; 75mm f/2.5; 1/250s; ISO 320

M-M; 75mm f/2.5; 1/4000s; ISO 320

Cheers, Matt

bcm

I actually like this version the best. I hate to articulate why I like photos because the words don't actually fit what I feel. But this shows a this small pool of water almost artificially placed (or punched out) in another artificial plane of tiles. The surrounding chairs give more a sense this is an arena where folks come to view the activity in the pool. It also puts a greater emphasis on the strange orientation of the plane of the ground that seems to be tilting and falling away and when combined with the water, there is a sense of vertigo. And there are small details like the single person in the chair and the sandals next to the empty chair--presumably belonging to the swimmer. While the crops are very graphic, there is a greater mystery for me in the whole frame.

But that is really not what I feel...
Every time I wander through this thread I find myself drawn back to your photo Ashwin. It's mesmerising. I love the way the light plays differently off the tiles around the pool. Well done

Paratom

I checked out Silver Effex and found this preset goes good with the bird-image (which I had posted before):

Last edited: