The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

skimmel

Ashwin,

What I found interesting (at least for myself, I did), is that in the last 5-6 images you posted of individuals looking at photographs, I just assumed they were looking at B&W printed photo's. Indeed they may have been B&W and of course this is emphasized by this being a monochrom thread.... but on the other hand they (the printed photographs they are holding) just as well could have been in color. It's sort of the "mind" paying tricks on perception.

Dave (D&A)
Cool! Hadn't thought about that -- makes the images even more intriguing!

erudolph

I've had this camera about three days and am trying to get the hang of the postproduction. Am working with Adobe Camera Raw 5.x and Silver Efex 1. This is a crop, with 50mm Summicron-M plus orange filter.

Actually, I hope this image inserts correctly. Haven't tried this before.... Ahhh, after about five tries I grabbed the right link!! ;)

L2000201c2 by Ed Rudolph, on Flickr

Lunchtime shot. I realise I was using the wrong CoC for my hyperfocal distance calcs. Tops of buildings are a bit OoF. CV 12 @ f/11

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Lunchtime shot. I realise I was using the wrong CoC for my hyperfocal distance calcs. Tops of buildings are a bit OoF. CV 12 @ f/11
Now that is an image that illustrates the potential of the MM! :thumbs:

Amazing that you got that out of the CV12/5.6! :)

Thanks Vivek, Yes the range is H.U.G.E. Only because it's a JPG has the top right most building blown out. On the TIF, only the lower sky is blown.

Petster

Great image Paul. After using for quite some time a T&S lens, converging lines are usual hurting my eyes. But this does not take place with your image. Great composition and of course super duper MM detail. :) I do not like the bluish color tint, but that is a matter of taste. Thanks for sharing.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Autumn here in Texas

Autumn Setting

MM and Nokton 50 1.1

Decoys and Gourd

MM and Nokton 50 1.1

Bob

Great image Paul. After using for quite some time a T&S lens, converging lines are usual hurting my eyes. But this does not take place with your image. Great composition and of course super duper MM detail. :) I do not like the bluish color tint, but that is a matter of taste. Thanks for sharing.
I know what you mean, I'm also an LF user and find converging lines very displeasing when they dominate a subject, somehow they take your eyes and fling them off the paper in a jarring way. I think this image avoids that feeling due to the other buildings that fill in the space. In the literal it is more like tilting your head back and looking up. In the abstract it''s like some geometric shapes all coming together (or breaking apart). The MM certainly gives my big cameras a run for their money in terms of sharpness, I can't beleive this is handheld too! Remarkable camera.

Petster

Jono: Thanks! :)

Paul: Couldn't agree more. Since Henry is here, some other buddys are just sitting around without getting used. ;)

Here are a few impressionistic captures. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but hopefully someone somewhere likes them :) The only adjustments were a bit of cropping on one of them, some spotting and contrast in LR, otherwise the entire effect was done at time of capture.

Can you really see inside?

The General and the EOD Expert

Imprisoned Trees

I developed these on my work laptop and forgot the SD card for a few days. I think they need a matt added, will do that at home tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks Lloyd.

Higgs, Just a combination of focus, DoF, slow shutter and camera movement. Post processing is usually just a contrast adjustment (and saturation if you do it in colour).