The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I put my name on a list in May as I seem to only see in black and white these days and have been M-less for two years.

My Monochrom arrived at my dealer two weeks ago ... the problem is that I won't be back in the US for two more weeks until mid December. The good news ... the camera is sitting in it's box waiting for my arrival. The bad news ... I've discovered a new feeling that is far more tortuous than waiting on a slow moving Leica list. ;)

So for a few more weeks, I'll continue to live vicariously through the monochrome eyes of you guys here.

D&A

I absolutely agree - stunning work here and I know for a fact that it didn't leave the camera looking this good. :thumbs:

I would say that this thread has some of the best superb imaging that I think is only matched by some of the great work a few people are also doing with their X100's over on the Fuji forum. It is certainly the artists in both fora that get the very best from their tools and captures.

Btw, I hope you're all proud of yourselves because I fell hopelessly in love with this camera when I tried it and also saw the great work here too. I ordered one a few months ago with the plan of it being my ONLY M for the future. My digital MP so to speak. Thanks. My wallet hates you all :ROTFL:
+1! Superbly stated and truly reflects my feelings too! The images are truly inspiring and it's a pleasure when time permits, to sit back and view the images. To think, there isn't even a museum fee :)

Dave (D&A)

Petster

I put my name on a list in May as I seem to only see in black and white these days and have been M-less for two years.

My Monochrom arrived at my dealer two weeks ago ... the problem is that I won't be back in the US for two more weeks until mid December. The good news ... the camera is sitting in it's box waiting for my arrival. The bad news ... I've discovered a new feeling that is far more tortuous than waiting on a slow moving Leica list. ;)

So for a few more weeks, I'll continue to live vicariously through the monochrome eyes of you guys here.
Kurt, that is amazing news. I'm so happy for you that you will be shooting with the Monochrom in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to the results and I guess you will find amazing new possibilities. It will be interesting if it will have influence in the results. Can't wait to hear your story. ;)

Btw which lens will be sticked to Henry?

Cheers,
Pete

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
This forum is actually a great resource to test fly images. It's my editor.

A few with the 18mm Super Elmar, which is indeed super.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Finally, a different lens. My Dual Range Summicron (optical cell is identical to the Rigid Summicron) has become my best friend - it mates wonderfully with the MM. So I asked myself which 35mm lens is most like it? It's not any of the pre-asph Summicrons - v. IV doesn't quite stand up to the MM's resolution which probably applies to the earlier versions. I spent a bit of time with Irwin Puts' Leica Compendium, an essential tool for anyone who fancies him/herself a Leica nut. The long-running 35mm Summicron Asph has very similar MTF curves and narrative but based on personal experience supresses flair better than the DR. I've owned this lens but sold it when I got my first 35mm Lux. So . . . I found a nice looking sample on ebay and bought it. First sample below. (a flair and contrast torture test).

xdayv

Fantastic ultra wide shots Woody ^^ :D

Here's one preparing for the Christmas season, no snow in this part of the world, so they gotta paint them white:

erudolph

I hope I'm not overdoing it!

I've been posting a lot of images. My excuse is that I've had this MM only a couple of weeks and it's a very enjoyable camera!

The theme here is RAIN. All with the 50mm Cron-M and yellow filter.

ISO 800. Grim light and a buffeting wind.

ISO 5000. A man lives in this car, a 1955 or 56 Mercury Montclair, and has for years. It is not like he lays down to sleep in the back seat. He seems to always sit behind the wheel, hemmed in by garbage bags.

ISO 3200

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
@Pete At one time, I had a nice selection of M lenses. Unfortunately, I sold them for some other gear. So it'll be back to the basics with a 35lux or 50lux. From there I can see what looks best and add a lens. It's probably counter-intuitive, but several years removed from the M experience, I realize that I'm most comfortable and creative with a limited set of choices. From what I've seen from the Monochrom images of others here, it looks like the images can be pushed around quite a bit. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to work with them as it appears that one can create a myriad of possibilities via post processing to fit one's personal taste.

@Dave Welcome to getdpi. If you choose to hang out here, you'll find that it's a good group of people. From your image, it looks like you might be in the Philippines. If so, where? I'm currently hanging out in Manila and am always happy to try to cross paths with others here who enjoy shooting (especially those shooting with Leica gear.)

Kurt, that is amazing news. I'm so happy for you that you will be shooting with the Monochrom in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to the results and I guess you will find amazing new possibilities. It will be interesting if it will have influence in the results. Can't wait to hear your story. ;)

Btw which lens will be sticked to Henry?

Cheers,
Pete

xdayv

@Dave Welcome to getdpi. If you choose to hang out here, you'll find that it's a good group of people. From your image, it looks like you might be in the Philippines. If so, where? I'm currently hanging out in Manila and am always happy to try to cross paths with others here who enjoy shooting (especially those shooting with Leica gear.)
Kurt, thanks for the warm welcome. It's certainly a nice community here, I can already feel it. If you're still here by early next year, I'll be off to Manila. I'm down here in the Visayas region, Leyte to be exact. If you happen to have an itinerary here or somewhere near, please let me know. Looking forward...

For the meantime, I'll share some street foods taken last night while waiting for my takeout dinner:

"Puso" (a.k.a. hanging rice, wrapped with coconut leaves)

"BBQ at night"

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
@Pete At one time, I had a nice selection of M lenses. Unfortunately, I sold them for some other gear. So it'll be back to the basics with a 35lux or 50lux. From there I can see what looks best and add a lens. It's probably counter-intuitive, but several years removed from the M experience, I realize that I'm most comfortable and creative with a limited set of choices. From what I've seen from the Monochrom images of others here, it looks like the images can be pushed around quite a bit. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to work with them as it appears that one can create a myriad of possibilities via post processing to fit one's personal taste.

I highly recommend the 35 chron asph with the MM - it's my one lens choice for the moment.

erudolph

Sunset on a rainy day

This was taken with the 50mm Cron-M, yellow filter, ISO 5000 near sunset of a dimly lit day. Initially there was much forum discussion of the grayness of MM files. This file was so lusciously gray that I didn't know what to do with it. Finally settled on brightening it a bit while holding back the highlights on the plastic bag. For anyone interested, a version of the original flat file is in my gallery.

xdayv

@Ed - definitely I'm loving the extended range of the gray tones of the MM. Your photo shows the lattitude.

@JPL - I can feel the coldness from down here the tropics. :D

Here are some taken the other night, still learning the ropes:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
@Dave It looks as if I'll be hanging around Manila for the next couple of years.

@ Woody Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely take a look at all of the images that I see with crons (particularly the 35 ASPH) in the next several weeks. From what I've seen, it looks like a great pairing. The summarit lenses on the S have a look that is similar to a summicron. For a consistent look across both systems, it would definitely be worth picking one up.