The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

fotografz

MM plus a new old lens: a CZ Jena 5cm f1.5 Sonnar from the 1950s. This is a screw mount lens mounted via an M adapter. Focus appears to be slightly off (an inch or two behind at one meter close focus) so I'll take it in for a CLA.

Freaking BEAUTIFUL Woody :thumbs:

-Marc

V

Vivek

MM plus a new old lens: a CZ Jena 5cm f1.5 Sonnar from the 1950s. This is a screw mount lens mounted via an M adapter. Focus appears to be slightly off (an inch or two behind at one meter close focus) so I'll take it in for a CLA.
Focus isn't the only problem, I would think. This lens needs a bit of contrasty light so that images would be less mushy.

xdayv

This is a wonderful forum to be with, I have learned a lot and have been inspired. Merry CHRISTmas to all!

"The simple joys of the season."

I saw this boy eagerly waiting for his delightful snack as it was being prepared. It really struck my heart and made me reflect a bit. Simple joys. Happy holidays!

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More with the Zeiss Jena 5cm Sonnar. This is an odd lens to shoot with. At one point I owned a vintage Exacta and (in Exacta mount) the 5cm Sonnar was the lens that came with it. The mount is lightweight aluminum. There are no f stop detents. the barrel turns as it focuses so you have to have to hunt for the f stop index. There is no depth of field scale. But nonetheless a really interesting look. Still not certain about the focus but I'm shooting a bit so figure out whether it justifies the expenditure on a CLA.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More. This is stopped down to f2.8. Aberrations in the corner are very evident - this isn't the best lens for subjects that need corner to corner sharpness.

V

Vivek

Focus seems fine, Woody. The mush came from poor light.

I take it that you use it with a proper hood?

More with the Zeiss Jena 5cm Sonnar. This is an odd lens to shoot with. At one point I owned a vintage Exacta and (in Exacta mount) the 5cm Sonnar was the lens that came with it. The mount is lightweight aluminum. There are no f stop detents. the barrel turns as it focuses so you have to have to hunt for the f stop index. There is no depth of field scale. But nonetheless a really interesting look. Still not certain about the focus but I'm shooting a bit so figure out whether it justifies the expenditure on a CLA.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Focus seems fine, Woody. The mush came from poor light.

I take it that you use it with a proper hood?
Proper? Rubber 40.5mm screw on. Helps but if there's a bright light source in the frame it flares.

About time to experiment with some human subjects.

V

Vivek

Another. The near edge of the "o" is about where I thought I was focusing.
Focus is just fine. There is no RF patch at the edge of the "o" and you had to change the perspective to get what you captured in the frame.

I have a Voigtlander metal hood for it (rather its clone , Jupiter-3). The rubber hood should be OK. Flare, of course, is part of its "character". :)

mathomas

Great shots, all!

I just received a Monochrom in the mail. No, I didn't buy it -- I rented from LensRentals.com. Kind of a Christmas gift to myself. And as a seemingly bonus Christmas gift the camera came early. That by itself isn't that great since I'd planned to have the camera over a specific period. What is great is that the LensRentals email receipt I just received states that while I got it today, the return date is still the 28th. Three day bonus!

V

Vivek

The face is striking but this picture is not entirely flattering, I would think. We have seen other fabulous ones from Ashwin.