The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A few from today.

Leica Monochrom and 75 Summilux

Steam Engine 771

Drive Wheels

Leica Monochrom and 35 Summicron Asph

Side Track

Bob

Maggie O

I forgot that I need to stay out of this thread so I don't go spending $8000 uncontrollably!

Amazing photographs, you guys! :thumbs: :clap::clap::clap:

xdayv

^^ inspiring shots on the previous posts! :thumbup: ^^

i'd like to share some more shots before Christmas eve, today the 24th, officially marks my 1 month adventure with the Monochrom. Happy holidays!

ashwinrao1

^^ inspiring shots on the previous posts! :thumbup: ^^

i'd like to share some more shots before Christmas eve, today the 24th, officially marks my 1 month adventure with the Monochrom. Happy holidays!

And what a month that it has been. Congrats on the great images, Dave, and it's amazing how fast you have mastered the camera for a very unique and potent look, of life as you see it, with the MM serving as enabler...great work, and have the happiest of holidays!

xdayv

And what a month that it has been. Congrats on the great images, Dave, and it's amazing how fast you have mastered the camera for a very unique and potent look, of life as you see it, with the MM serving as enabler...great work, and have the happiest of holidays!
Ashwin, thanks for the kind words. Happy holidays to you and your family!

PeterA

Just got my MM and haven't had a chance to walk around - already it is worth the price of admission as far as I am concerned because I am getting much closer to old fashioned B&W film look - ie lots of information to play with at both ends of the curve -depending on your needs - without too much mucking around - a pity Aperture doesn't support the raw files yet...

Amazing ability to capture highlights OR Darks..

[/url] BlackBlacks.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr[/IMG]

Alexis.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr

docmoore

Pete,

I just love the way that 50 Lux draws....oh I must save for the Apo...must save for the......

Bob

docmoore

First a Christmas themed picture then a couple from my day at the train yard....

Monochrom and 35 Cron Asph

Holiday Bear

Inside the Fence

Train and Grain

Bob

algrove

I used a Ricoh GXR to prefocus an R 4/280 and then after removing the GXR I mounted an MM on the Novoflex adapter. First try, but better than just looking at my R lenses.

View attachment 67171

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Interesting.

Louis, I am trying to figure out what is going on. I could make out the cloned area next to the foot. I can't figure out where the grid like structure all over the frame comes from. :confused:

algrove

Interesting.

Louis, I am trying to figure out what is going on. I could make out the cloned area next to the foot. I can't figure out where the grid like structure all over the frame comes from. :confused:
Good question. I was trying to take out the bright spot light with that clone tool in LR (I much prefer PS) and screwed up but decided to post it anyway. My monitor does not show a grid like structure all over the frame though.

Just do not have the patience today to redo it. Sorry it comes out so lousy on your monitor. Did you import it into LR or PS?

V

Vivek

The clone is not a problem and nothing bothers me. The grid pattern is very clear and would show if you print this frame. I am looking at it through a proof monitor (not imported to any program and am just looking at this page). If you look at the same image on an iPad, for example, there is no grid (except the area below the right boot). I thought I will let you know.

algrove

Interesting.

The clone is not a problem and nothing bothers me. The grid pattern is very clear and would show if you print this frame. I am looking at it through a proof monitor. If you look at the same image on an iPad, for example, there is no grid (except the area below the right boot). I thought I will let you know.
Thanks. You don't mean the grain do you? It was shot at ISO 2500.

V

Vivek

It can not be grain unless this is a 10% crop of the frame. :)

(There is grain structure within the grey dots which are arranged in a neat grid like pattern all over the frame. This may be too sharp a lens for the MM- my speculation.)

algrove

It can not be grain unless this is a 10% crop of the frame. :)

(There is grain structure within the grey dots which are arranged in a neat grid like pattern all over the frame. This may be too sharp a lens for the MM- my speculation.)
I never thought of an old lens being too sharp for the MM. Interesting observation. It is cropped, but I would say only down by 20% at most, so you are looking at 80% of the original 18MP. I did not shoot a Jpeg that night, but those are what I tend to post OOC.

I surmise most of any problem has to do with my quickie approach to putting it on the net.

V

Vivek

Please, I would like to see more, if possible when you get a chance.

"Old lens"? :LOL:

Ask Doug Herr about it. This is probably the sharpest from Leica, ever!

algrove

That was the only night I have ever used the lens. Many shots were not in focus due to the high winds and slow shutter speeds. I pumped the ISO up to 8000, but even then I could not get past 1/90 which still is way too slow. I would prefer using 1/1000 or faster. The lens was made in 1996 according to Leica Wiki data.

The other shots I was also trying were with my APO 70-180 which did not work out for all the reasons above.

Must do some daylight shooting, but I have a bad cold right now. It seems I must have aggravated by body on that windy night in very cold weather.

Last edited: