The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

mathomas

Thanks for your review; enjoyed it. I have to disagree on one point though: The Monochrom does not remove a choice, it adds the option of high-quality B&W.
That it does not do color is irrelevant, I have my M9 for that.
As an ardent advocate of visualisation I do not like deciding for color or B&W from a computer screen. The point is to see your subject in B&W and decide whether it needs color or not before you take the shot. The MM forces you to do just that.
Thanks for your comment. I see your point, but not everyone can (or wants to) carry both a Monochrom and a color camera (much less an M).

In your case, your point stands and my hat is off to you :).

Paratom

Thanks for your comment. I see your point, but not everyone can (or wants to) carry both a Monochrom and a color camera (much less an M).

In your case, your point stands and my hat is off to you :).

Question is if you have to carry both or if you can decide before and then just focus on either color or b&w once you got out.

borge

Question is if you have to carry both or if you can decide before and then just focus on either color or b&w once you got out.
That's what I did. I decided to shoot B&W only for one year, and only with a 50mm lens as well. I sold every piece of camera gear I had and purchased a MM and a Summilux and its been about 4 months now and I feel that my photography skills has developed substantially in that time. Eliminating a bunch of options and simplifying forces you to focus on doing what you can do a lot better than if you have several options available (color or B&W? 28mm? 35mm? 50mm? 75mm? 90mm?). My shots has only gotten better the simpler and more limiting my gear is.

JonesLafuente

First time shooting with the Monochrom and 35 Lux FLE, great combination, and absolutely blown away by the files they produce. I thought the M9 and latest Noctilux were good and I tried photographing track cycling in the Velodrome in Manchester with those. They were good but I think I am going to enjoy the Monochrom much more.

Edit: have removed the larger tiff files and replaced with jpeg versions. Thanks Ed for highlighting.

Last edited:

xdayv

That's what I did. I decided to shoot B&W only for one year, and only with a 50mm lens as well. I sold every piece of camera gear I had and purchased a MM and a Summilux and its been about 4 months now and I feel that my photography skills has developed substantially in that time. Eliminating a bunch of options and simplifying forces you to focus on doing what you can do a lot better than if you have several options available (color or B&W? 28mm? 35mm? 50mm? 75mm? 90mm?). My shots has only gotten better the simpler and more limiting my gear is.
Borge, I can in a way relate to that. I got the MM + Summilux. Staying away from the temptation of getting a 2nd lens. I wanted to take away the FL equation from my shooting, in a way, good or bad it's a risk I took and am taking. :D

erudolph

First time shooting with the Monochrom and 35 Lux FLE, great combination, and absolutely blown away by the files they produce. I thought the M9 and latest Noctilux were good and I tried photographing track cycling in the Velodrome in Manchester with those. They were good but I think I am going to enjoy the Monochrom much more.
I like this image. But it downloaded a 10mb file to my computer.

JonesLafuente

Ed

Apologies, it was the tiff file I attached instead of the jpeg. Will see if I can edit the post.

Now have the smaller jpeg images attached.

Brian

Last edited:

PeterA

Kurt - wonderful captures and a beautiful blog - you are capturing the beauty of the people on the street - thoughtful shots - well done.

Pete

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks Pete.

I have the easy part as I just push the button. They do all the work in revealing themselves so willingly.

Kurt