The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

xdayv

I wonder if I shot these in color as the patterns of the "banig" were colorful. Part of the challenge and fun with the MM I guess... :D

"Banig" weaving:

ashwinrao1

Wowowow, simply stunning, Dave. That last one of the mats, and the 2 before, just blow my mind. great images, great processing, and great job through and through!

ashwinrao1

Woody, great fog shot. It's lovely to see modern glass tamed by fog on the MM...this shot has classic written all over it...

D&A

Dave, as Ashwin said..shots of the mats were terrific, especially the last one although your the entire posted series is excellent!

Woody, the mood created by the fog is captured extremely well by the MM...simply a lovely shot!

Dave (D&A)

erudolph

A sort of real life chip chart: driving across town about ten in the morning, at a stop light, I stuck my camera out the window to grab this one. The content is nothing like the intense humanity and or scenic emotion we've been seeing in many shots here, but even so, it gives me a lift seeing what this camera can do:

V

Vivek

Can I issue an appeal to those folks who have the MM for sometime now but have not shown any pics to post a few? :)

I still do not have one, yet...:(

Peter Klein

Ashwin, I am just loving what the MM does with skin tones, especially with the 105/2.5 Nikkor. It isn't an accident that lens was a cult lens both on the Nikon F and on rangefinders.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Can I issue an appeal to those folks who have the MM for sometime now but have not shown any pics to post a few? :)

I still do not have one, yet...:(
Per your request:

Leica Monochrom

Looking at You

Antlers

Leica Monochrom Visoflex III

Antlers II

Bob

docmoore

Autumn Holiday Theme

Leica Monochrom

Duck Decoys on Glass

Autumn Setting 1

Christmas Kitten

Leica Monochrom and Visoflex III

Christmas Cookies

Bob

docmoore

A Few Random Pictures

Leica Monochrom

A Good Read

My Own Space

Out the Back Door

Old Oak Distant Bridge

Bob

V

Vivek

Per your request:

Bob
Thanks, Bob. :)

I consider you one of the regulars here. ;) There a few who have had their MM and have not posted a single picture.

Hi Matt, Have you got yours back? Is it fixed?

docmoore

All: Great work!

Bob: Great photos! How do you like that headphone amp? I'm looking for one.

Cheers,
Matt
Matt,

The upper end at Headroom is superb - dead quiet with wonderful transients and dynamic range ... I use one of their DACs with optical in from a Airport to wirelessly stream music to my main system.

The desktop is fed balanced in from my Apogee Duet.

I have and can also recommend the balanced portable amp from Ray Samuels Audio (SR-71B). It is about the size of a deck of cards...use an old iPhone with RSA's dedicated LOD for travel and the gym.

Bob

docmoore

Thanks, Bob. :)

I consider you one of the regulars here. ;) There a few who have had their MM and have not posted a single picture.

Hi Matt, Have you got yours back? Is it fixed?
Vivek,

I agree. I love to look at the divergent ways the files get interpreted...wonderful latitude.

Bob

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Where to start. After a fair amount of effort I've sorted out a 1933 Carl Zeiss Jena "black nickel" 5cm f2.0 Sonnar. It took some sorting because because it's a Contax RF lens and the focusing helicoid for Contax/Zeiss 50mm lens is part of the body of the camera. There was a Contax to Leica screw mount adapter that was made in the 1950s by Orion - I actually found one of those on ebay (it turns out the Metabones makes this adapter currently). The focus cam couples fine but focus goes the opposite direction from Leica so the focus spot moves the wrong direction. It takes two hands to change the f-stop and there is no provision for threaded filter.

Why bother?

Well this thing is just amazing. At f4.0 it is remarkably sharp corner to corner (really) but has much lower overall contrast than modern lenses. This means that images look finely drawn but flat. Flat is ok on the MM because the the files tolerate a huge amount of abuse so you can paint on dynamic range with local adjustments in post. The rendering is just lovely. Well worth the effort. It makes mundane subjects sing. Contax/Zeiss was clearly ahead of Leica in the mid-1930s.

Examples: