The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

V

Vivek

Here is a test shot and it reflects my feeling about this camera. This is a small crop. How big a crop, I am unsure. I don't even know if any of the lenses I have bring up the correct frame lines! It has been a while since I used a RF cam.

MM by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, f/2, ISO 160, Baader U 2" filter, Reflected UV, Ultraviolet capture, Flash lighting

I want to thank a getdpi member who made it possible which involved enormous amount of trust (cash being secondary) and Bart ("Knorp") whom I had the pleasure of meeting earlier today who kindly set me up with a battery, etc, etc. :)

teeraash

Here is a test shot and it reflects my feeling about this camera. This is a small crop. How big a crop, I am unsure. I don't even know if any of the lenses I have bring up the correct frame lines! It has been a while since I used a RF cam.
I am curious what the whole image looks like. Do you mind posting it?
Be aware, this camera has soul!

V

Vivek

I am curious what the whole image looks like. Do you mind posting it?
Be aware, this camera has soul!
Not sure what you mean. I have gone through countless cams and lenses. They are how i use them. Nothing more nothing less. As far as MM is concerned, there is pretty much no use for near IR photography. For near UV it is highly sensitive. I am absolutely delighted with this finding.:). I should now look for a visoflex 3.

A practical implication of this finding is that lenses like the Rokkor and the ZM 25/2.8 ought to be used with an yellow filter (to cut off UV) to have decent contrast.

Knorp

I want to thank a getdpi member who made it possible which involved enormous amount of trust (cash being secondary) and Bart ("Knorp") whom I had the pleasure of meeting earlier today who kindly set me up with a battery, etc, etc. :)
Hi there Vivek,

pleasure meeting you too and wishing you all the best of luck with your MM.
Looking forward to see some 'crafty snaps' :)

Kind regards,
Bart

Last edited:

Paratom

Congrats guys on the new MMs!

I really like mine. First I wanted it, then I told myself I didnt need it, then I couldnt resist when my store had one, then I liked it a lot, then I got second thoughts and was close to sell it, but then I got second thoughts on selling it, and at the moment it is my most used camera and I love it. I am not even nervous about the new M - I am really enjoying the simplicity of using the MM and the "clear and deep" look of the images.

V

Vivek

Thanks, folks! :)

Here is a "whole frame" image, as composed and captured.

Leica MM, Elmar 90/4, ISO320, 1/60s, f/4

It looks like this is one of the few lenses I have that brings up the right frame line and focuses spot on. Way too easy to use (or in otherwords, a pleasure to use). The very long focus throw of this 3 element Elmar is also to my liking.

V

Vivek

Hi there Vivek,

pleasure meeting you too and wishing you all the best of luck with you MM.
Looking forward to see some 'crafty snaps' :)

Kind regards,
Bart
Thank you, Bart!

I am unsure how this is going to pan out but surely there are a number of folks who have shown here what can be made out of the MM. :)

Luckily, some of my FSU lenses (Former Soviet Union) appear to be focus correctly and so are the tiny ancient Leica screw lenses I have. :)

V

Vivek

Thank you, Peter! :)

I seemed to have lucked out with a Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5. Focus, wide open, is spot on.

V

Vivek

Nothing special here, another Jupiter-3 wide open shot. What I am amazed is with the shadow details (those who have a good monitor should be able to see it) and the non destructive nature of the shadow noise. I have not used a camera like this at all. Just amazing.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5

V

Vivek

Had no idea the aperture was turned to f/8 for this shot (the lens has a quirky aperture dial which also holds its filter threads).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4