The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

ashwinrao1

Thanks to you all for your kind words on my prior photos....

I am delving into old lenses with a sense of adventure....

Here are a couple of more:
Jupiter 3:

Canon 85 mm f/1.8 LTM

Nikkor S.C 50 mm f/1.4 LTM

Cropped:

Nikkor 50 mm f/2 LTM

In the corridor at Davies Symphony Hall. 50mm cron, yellow filter, ISO 500.

I am so enjoying the variety of looks shown here. As much as I enjoy the higher key images, I find myself making moodier ones.
Ed: Very nice, reduced and thoughtful composition plus content and mood. Like it very much!

Last edited:
Kurt: Wonderful portraits in the first series - and your sense for the decisive moment in your street scenes is absolutely admirable.

Personal favorites are the second to last (with the child peeping thru the planks) and the last one, splendid!

Last edited:
My MM arrives next week. Hope to add images 1/2 as fine as what I'm seeing here, and they went a long way to sell me on the MM. best.....Peter

mmbma

Thanks to you all for your kind words on my prior photos....

I am delving into old lenses with a sense of adventure....

Here are a couple of more:
These portraits are wonderful!Even better, I have those Nikon lenses! I'm going to give it a try this weekend!

mmbma

mmbma, That is a brave thing to do! Do you have any filters for that monster?

In my sample the focus is off thanks to a local repair genius. :mad:
It's not as unweildy as I thought it would be. After 30 minutes it feels natural. Sorry to hear your incident with the repair guru. I used Bald Mountains and it worked out great.

No filters, it was a very gloomy and flat day and I wished I had an orange filter. But the Mono was able to pull out the contrast without looking harsh with minimal post processing. The lattitude it gives me is simply amazing.

airfrogusmc

Kurt killer stuff, another good series ashwin, Dave love all of the last 3 and sorry if I left anyone out because the work in this thread from everyone is so inspiring.

erudolph

In Golden Gate Park. This echoes a 40x30" photo print that my wife bought years ago. Now yellowed, it had once hung in a railroad station. In it, a man stood in the hollowed base of a giant redwood tree in Muir Woods. He leaned his head on his hand, possibly to stabilize himself for a long exposure. His expression was both happy and amused, happy to be there and also having an idea of what the result would look like.

50mm Summicron, yellow filter.

[/url]
20130306-L2002729-Edit-2.jpg by Ed Rudolph, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Vivek, congrats on the MM, and lovely snaps.
Thanks, Ashwin. :)

I am off for a week and might post some images from there if I find anytime to take pics after I am back.

Here is another snap from the lovely Jupiter-3.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5, f/1.5, 1/60s, ISO320, Mixed lighting

I managed to "fix" a set of color filters in 40.5mm thread size (yellow, orange, red, and a couple of IR filters). A strong UV/IR cut filter also is going to be quite useful. The M Rokker 40/2 mount is now trimmed to bring up the 35mm frame lines.

jonoslack

Vivek
Hi - I'm really glad you're pleased with your new camera
Kurt - so many wonderful images
Ashwin - great shots

In the meantime, my next objective was to test the new M. IQ, both b/w and color, will be paramount, and if that holds I welcome the weather sealing, quieter shutter, faster processing and longer battery life, 2m frame lines and the possibility for longer lenses. But none of that matters if the IQ isn't sufficient for my needs and preferences.

Now you've gone and complicated my thought process.:)

Jeff
Jeff
I've anguished so long over this - i had a Monochrom fo 6 months, I loved it and it taught me a lot, nowadays I shoot much more B&W. But but but . . . I also like to shoot colour.
Personally I found it really tricky to swap between a colour body and a monochrome body - the lens was always on the wrong camera, and I ended up worrying about what I was shooting with rather than what I was shooting.

For me (and of course it's personal) I like to shoot with two M bodies, one with a wide, one with a standard or medium telephoto . . . and I like the option to take colour photos.

I think the crux of the matter (and of course it's personal) is that if you're going to shoot exclusively black and white, then the monochrom is a complete no-brainer, but if you aren't . . . . . then it isn't!

FWIW the M makes lovely black and white photos - perhaps not to 10,000 ISO, but certainly to 6400. They convert well and are really flexible. Of course, you don't quite get the magnificent detail of the MM . . . but you get a nicer shutter noise!

50 summicron at f2, 3200 ISO M

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Thanks!

I said this a while back and I say it again, the MM is the best digital RF cam from Leica to date. The camera is so fine (Only 2 days and ~100 shots) that I will work towards getting a back up. No, I am neither rich nor crazy.

There will be no banding like in your M shot, as you know. The dark noise in MM files is just simply fabulous. The grain, oh, I simply have to push the camera at as high an ISO as possible just to get them in a frame!