The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

It's living up to expectations, set very high by the images I had seen from it here and elsewhere. I think it may be more particular about lenses than the M9. For instance, my first shots were with a v4 50 pre asph that rendered very well, and was very sharp on my M9, and M7. Especially at 1.4 it was noticeably softer than I expected, even 2-2.8. I thought the RF might need adjusting. Then I used the 50 lux asph and it absolutely sings on the mono, even at 1.4 incredibly sharp and rich, with noticeably higher resolution than the M9. So the sensor gets the best of of what the lens gives it, but accurately displays flaws. The malleability of the files is obvious as soon as you work with them, such a high DR. Files at 3200 are much cleaner and retain more detail than the M9 at 1250.
I know the M has lot's to commend it, but my first impression is the mono has delivered the true potential of the classic leica. Extreme simplicity, not even the "complication" of color. Exquisite image quality, with an iso range that allows it to capture that moment pretty much regardless of lighting. It has a finer finish than the M9 so feels more like shooting a film MP. Guess I kind of like it so far!!

The images from this camera are truly amazing! If ever I had camera-lust, it's for the M Monochrom. On my last visit to my Leica dealer I had hoped he'd have this but he only had the new M, which was nice but, meh, I want the Monochrom!!!

Keep the great captures coming!

ashwinrao1

Welcome, Peter and M.T.

Gotta say that I continue to love the camera and grow with it, and I am sure that you'll enjoy it as well...it's an amazing tool for the discriminating BW photog....it's hard to go back to other cameras for color conversion, having enjoyed these files regularly....

Herea are a few with:

35 LUX ASPH PRE-FLE

CANON 85 MM f/1.8

airfrogusmc

It's living up to expectations, set very high by the images I had seen from it here and elsewhere. I think it may be more particular about lenses than the M9. For instance, my first shots were with a v4 50 pre asph that rendered very well, and was very sharp on my M9, and M7. Especially at 1.4 it was noticeably softer than I expected, even 2-2.8. I thought the RF might need adjusting. Then I used the 50 lux asph and it absolutely sings on the mono, even at 1.4 incredibly sharp and rich, with noticeably higher resolution than the M9. So the sensor gets the best of of what the lens gives it, but accurately displays flaws. The malleability of the files is obvious as soon as you work with them, such a high DR. Files at 3200 are much cleaner and retain more detail than the M9 at 1250.
I know the M has lot's to commend it, but my first impression is the mono has delivered the true potential of the classic leica. Extreme simplicity, not even the "complication" of color. Exquisite image quality, with an iso range that allows it to capture that moment pretty much regardless of lighting. It has a finer finish than the M9 so feels more like shooting a film MP. Guess I kind of like it so far!!

I so agree with everything you've written. I have never had a digital camera that fit my vision as well as this and the 35 Lux FLE. I find I start getting depressed when I can't get out and shoot with it. :LOL:

Just to show what I mean about the 50 lux asph, and high iso. This is iso 3200, 1/60, 2.8.
No sharpening, no noise reduction, cropped, size reduced without any output sharpening. I shot a nikon D3 for years, and a D800E briefly, not sure I ever saw this clean an image at 3200 with this detail.

D&A

A big congrats Allen....been both impressed and enjoying your posted images. Wish I could be there too!

Dave (D&A)

chrism

Seems to me the Monochrom has reasonable success at ISO 10,000 (necessitated by dim incandescent light and an f4 Macro Elmar M 90mm):

Though the Lux 75 at f1.4 allowed ISO 5,000 and is nicer for a portrait:

The 90mm/f4 portraits are sharper, have deeper depth of field and because of the higher ISO are noisier - so I tried to make them a bit more acceptable, and I noticed for the first time - I'm just catching up with the rest of you when it comes to digital PP - is that you can simulate a 'Leica glow' by reducing the Clarity slider:

A disgraceful cheat, I calls it.

Chris

Last edited: