The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

xdayv

Vivek, thanks for sharing those shots in India. Would you mind sharing your insights about shooting India with the Monochrom?

V

Vivek

Hi Dave, Appreciate your kind words very much! :)

I had shot in monochrome in the business district of Mumbai in 1980 when I was a student with a Yashica Electro 35 and respooled B&W film. I could compare (from a few existing prints) how the light got registered. Even near sunset, it is quite harsh.

This shot of a vendor (he had a kitchen scale and was offering that as a service to the passerby to measure their weight) would have been nearly impossible on a monochrome film. Getting so much details of his dark skin while still getting some structures on hazy clouds (top right) out of the MM shot justified (again) how great a sensor/camera this is.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, Yellow filter.

Walking around Mumbai with the MM was very very safe. Everyone and anyone noticed the camera but most thought it was an old camera as it does not look like a DSLR. Only once it got identified (by a Britisher) as a Leica M9. Photographing anyone was easy and most were more than willing to be photographed. Super photo friendly surroundings. One does have to be careful to be with a camera near certain buildings. There are major security checkups while entering any mall for instance (not my place of interest, anyway).

The man on the right noticed that I was photographing the two flower vendors (them) and the older one had moved away to potential customer. He called him by his side and asked me to try again!

Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5

V

Vivek

This little fellow appeared to be very used to being seen by cameras. Just one fleeting glance in my direction and then on to watching more interesting things. Near the "Gateway of India", Mumbai.

jstaben

The fun thing about working with the Monochrom is that I start seeing what would be rather mundane in color but can produce interesting images in B&W. These garages in this picture looked rather ordinary but in B&W especially when increasing the contrast a bit you really can appreciate how beat up and marked they are. This image was taken after dusk, 24 Lux wide open at high ISO, handheld.

xdayv

This little fellow appeared to be very used to being seen by cameras. Just one fleeting glance in my direction and then on to watching more interesting things. Near the "Gateway of India", Mumbai.

Vivek, I concur with the MM's ability to capture the wide dynamic range. Thanks for sharing your insights and photos!

V

Vivek

Ice transporter. This young man obliged my request for a snap on the go (40 deg C outside and ice melting rapidly and all).

Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5, Mumbai

V

Vivek

Adaptation to survive. An old watch repair shop (perhaps his father was sitting there 15 years ago when I came across this last) near the business district in Mumbai. On to mobiles and smartphones as well.