The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

element-m

Again last night. Light and movement was pretty tricky (for me) Surprised this even came out okay, though it could be better.

element-m

Some extremely nice posts here, and many masters of their MM. Inspiring work that sets the bar pretty high. What a thread !

downstairs

Same thing with a Biogon 35/2.8.
For this setup, camera distance is about 90cm. My Summilux 35mm has focus-shift - focus is about 3cm beyond - and it gets worse towards small apertures.
So I had a go with a Biogon. No shift at all at any aperture. It really is a fabulous lens.
Apparently Leica can optimise a Summilux. I'm sending it in to get it set for a 1.5 meters at f.2 (getting the nearest eye in focus). Any better ideas?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So I had a go with a Biogon. No shift at all at any aperture. It really is a fabulous lens.
Apparently Leica can optimise a Summilux. I'm sending it in to get it set for a 1.5 meters at f.2 (getting the nearest eye in focus). Any better ideas?
I would assume that you are tripod mounted....as your subject matter seems rather static...in a GOOD way.

If this is the case you should be able to set a series of captures that are bracketed for distance at your selected aperture...then use the one that has the best sharpness at your desired point ... this should be both scalable and able to be reproduced....

Seems a bit more likely to succeed than shipping your lens to Solms and having a different set point that you will still have to accomodate at any distance different than its calibrated distance.

I had a couple of lenses on an Alpa that were not registered correctly but I did a series of exposures and dialed in the appropriate corrections for my most used distances ... it seems that a plethora of lens choices lessens our comfort with the limitations of our equipment.

Just some thoughts....

Great captures as always.

Bob