The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

(...)
It doesnt change my personal feeling about that one image, but thats me and I dont say my feeling has to be the "correct" feeling.

(...)
We can agree on that without any problems from my side.

But I also want to point out, that my concerns relate to each and any attempts to undermine the freedom of expression, the freedom of the sciences and the arts.

Paratom

We can agree on that without any problems from my side.

But I also want to point out, that my concerns relate to each and any attempts to undermine the freedom of expression, the freedom of the sciences and the arts.

I totally agree and still think there is a good reason why human dignity is subject of Art. 1 Abs. 1 of our "Grundgesetz".

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I think it's really an interesting discussion to have around those two photos. Before I moved to the Philippines, I might've reacted with the same concern. However, after you start walking through the barrios on a daily basis you end up seeing plenty of young kids not wearing underpants because 1) it's warm 2) it's more economically practical to have kids run around with no pants on until they are toilet trained and 3) there is no outright shame or stigma in seeing naked children. They are simply seen as children. Fortunately, there is a true lack of Western sexualization of children for adult gratification within the culture. As such, what Dave has showed is simply a typical scene that you might see in many of the neighborhoods of the Philippines. Photographs that end up being thought-provoking are usually the ones that have us ask as many questions of ourselves as the subjects we are viewing.

Paratom

I think it's really an interesting discussion to have around those two photos. Before I moved to the Philippines, I might've reacted with the same concern. However, after you start walking through the barrios on a daily basis you end up seeing plenty of young kids not wearing underpants because 1) it's warm 2) it's more economically practical to have kids run around with no pants on until they are toilet trained and 3) there is no outright shame or stigma in seeing naked children. They are simply seen as children. Fortunately, there is a true lack of Western sexualization of children for adult gratification within the culture. As such, what Dave has showed is simply a typical scene that you might see in many of the neighborhoods of the Philippines. Photographs that end up being thought-provoking are usually the ones that have us ask as many questions of ourselves as the subjects we are viewing.
Hi Kurt,
for me its not so much he is naked (I believe in Europe we are a bit more relaxed regarding this than in some other countries) but more it seems he hides between the newspaper because he doesnt want to be photographed. I could be wrong.
But I also would like to mention that I did not want to say at all that I believe the photo is too much, just described my initial feeling.
To the OP of the photos: I find most of the photos great and I am also thankful you posted them.
Sorry for the off topic discussion.

airfrogusmc

I've spent time in PI and Dave's photographs not only are documents of the life there which is important but also he captures the spirit of these amazing people and culture. They take me back. The photographs are glimpses into life there. Why not show it honestly? I get a feeling from Dave's images much the way I get when looking at the photographs from the FSA (Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, Roy Sticker, etc) in that they are showing us in some cases what many don't want to look at. The photographs are mirrors to life and if you don't like the good, the bad and yes sometimes the ugly then don't look in the mirror. I find it refreshing someone chooses to turn the lens on other things besides sunsets and puppies. Keep up the great work Dave and remember if your an artist in you are not opening someones eyes to something and maybe upsetting a few you are probably not doing your job.

Paratom

I've spent time in PI and Dave's photographs not only are documents of the life there which is important but also he captures the spirit of these amazing people and culture. They take me back. The photographs are glimpses into life there. Why not show it honestly? I get a feeling from Dave's images much the way I get when looking at the photographs from the FSA (Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, Roy Sticker, etc) in that they are showing us in some cases what many don't want to look at. The photographs are mirrors to life and if you don't like the good, the bad and yes sometimes the ugly then don't look in the mirror.....
was there anything "ugly" in the images? I cant see anything ugly.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Back to posting images here. I experimented with the Sony Alpha 7 and 7R at the Yosemite workshop. Always with Leica glass. Converted to BW. I hope no one minds if I post them here. 24 lux on A7:

emaxxx

Back to posting images here. *I experimented with the Sony Alpha 7 and 7R at the Yosemite workshop. *Always with Leica glass. *Converted to BW. *I hope no one minds if I post them here. *24 lux on A7:

Hi Woody, what's your opinion on the A7+Leica lenses vs the M240?

Emanuele

PS: Great work, i'd like to make a trip to Yosemite too...and probably will this summer