The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

erudolph

Another of the many wedding parties having their photos taken on our street corner. This party had at least three photographers, so that while I was photographing them having their photographs taken, one of their photographers was shooting me doing so.

50mm, cropped

Jay Emm

On a recent trip to New York, I arranged to rent a Monochrome M and 35mm Summicron lens.

This was my first time using a Leica, so I was keen to take the rental path to see if I enjoyed the RF experience. Might as well dive in with the Monochrome version while I’m at it right? Also, I’d never shot street-style before, but hey, “When in Rome"...

What I liked: Clean files that handle editing well. Gorgeous range of tones. RF focusing was a better experience than I anticipated - although I still missed plenty of shots as a newbie. Manual setting options worked well for street. Unobtrusive and quiet, people hardly glanced as I took their photo from short range. Well thought out menu system. Remarkably small lens compared to my Nikon and Hassy gear. Ability to use auto-ISO with manual shutter and aperture settings was nice. Good file sizes (the Goldilocks zone of not being too big nor too small IMO)

What I disliked: LCD screen was pretty poor. Write speeds were very slow.:wtf: It locked up once and I had to remove battery to re-boot. Without a grip it’s not that easy to hold for extended periods. It’s expensive.

Would I buy one? Well maybe a new Monochrome is in the pipeline based on the current CMOS M. If it has faster handling and with a better LCD, I’d be keen. Then again maybe current models will prove cheaper on the second hand market when a new model arrives - but who knows, as I’m sure debate will rage on how any new CMOS monochrome draws vs the current CCD.

Interestingly I planned to use this rental to test the Leica M-series camera - in particular the manual focus. If I didn’t like it I had made my mind up to buy the T instead. While I’ve checked out the T in-store (lovely camera), I’m not a buyer as the larger camera has won a place in my heart and mind - and that is likely a good note to end this post on :)

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
nice work, in my town, too! every now and then i shoot the 28 cron and that baby sees a lot of FOV. but my go-to is the 75 cron for street

i use the thumbs up, couldn't be without it. also the Luigi baseplate, which has fold up doors for the battery and card

biggest problem i have is remembering which frame lines to use!