The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

Hi Michael - is a bit of constructive criticism welcome? If so, read on.

I love the content of your images because you seem to place decisive moments in great compositions. But to my eyes, you're blocking up your highlights and thereby missing all the beautiful midtones tht the MM 'wants' to deliver. Take a look at images by the two Daves, who seem to be using the camea's tonal range to fuller potential?

(Happy to delete this post if it's objectionable.)

Kirk

MichaelToye

Thanks for the comment Kirk and please don't delete it.

I'm well aware I bust the highlights and I don't help myself at all shooting at midday, exposing somewhere between correct and too hot and then amping up the contrast in post. In point of fact most of the whiteout occur in post if I'm honest.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I think it stems from being drawn to the high contrast work in galleries.

Do tell me if anything really doesn't work.
Michael

element-m

Had the chance to play with the Noctilux while in Milan last week end with a friend. While out together we stumbled on this group in one of the arcades in the centre. These Tango enthusiasts regularly meet in the evening to dance at different locations from time to time. Of course, with the Noctilux it wasn't that simple to get the focus right wide open , or to anticipate their movement for that matter:)

jlm

Workshop Member
Michael:

i will say that i can always pick out your images by strong contrast and compressed tonal range, irrespective of content