The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

bradhusick

Just thought I'd kick things off. I rented the Monochrom from LensRentals.com.

I think this camera is astonishing in the detail and tonal range it captures. These are simple screen grabs from Lightroom. Minimal sharpening applied, that's all.

Full frame and 100% crop. f/5.6

Last edited:

bradhusick

Here's another shot. Not artistic but look at the detail! Again, full frame and 100% crop. f/5.6

Last edited:

bensonga

Wow....I had no idea a Leica Monochrom was available for rent. I don't have any Leica M lenses, but I'm keen to give this camera a try. Thanks for starting this thread Brad! I will be contacting LensRentals in the future (for the first time).

Gary

algrove

To me the most impressive thing is the histogram (when shooting in DNG) which is divided into 11 sections with the graduations corresponding to a 1EV difference in brightness. I just love how it stretches the entire width of the image.

The division of the DNG histogram is comparable to the zone system that was (is) used in analog B&W photography.

Now how to best use it?

Are OOC jpegs worth showing here?

CharlesK

Here are some shots from yesterday! These have been cross posted, in the M thread, so I do apologize.

Algrove, yes it would interesting to see Jpegs OOC, with in camera adjustments, as I think the results are very encouraging and interesting. The results from the Lensrental review were very interesting in this respect. The DNG histogram is very interesting, and obviously a lot of thought went into designing this.

Shots with the 50 Nocti f/1.0 @ f/1.2
10,000 ISO. Fine noise, but can be easily reduced if needed.

5,000 ISO

1250 ISO

R

riclib

What I love about the monochrom is how clean images under monochromatic light (red or blue) are.
Dancer is under blue light, see how clean the image is in full size (http://goo.gl/oFLWS).

algrove

So here's few trys on my part. Not great just better contrast scenes. These are OOC jpegs with all settings at default.
View attachment 63255 Sorry for the 90 degrees off. Have to figure out how to correct this.

View attachment 63256

View attachment 63257

I am rushing out right now but will get the exif data later.

I have now taken maybe 250 shots and many are just trying different exposures of the same image.

Remember these are OOC jpegs with no adjustments-all default settings.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

What I love about the monochrom is how clean images under monochromatic light (red or blue) are.
Dancer is under blue light, see how clean the image is in full size (http://goo.gl/oFLWS).
Rather unusual example but the most effective (in favor of the monochrome sensor) I have seen to date! :thumbs:

D&A

I'm particulary impressed by the entire area produced behind the elongated spotlight and the tonality chosen for this particular image. Extremely effective!

Dave (D&A)

StephenPatterson

Absolutely one of the very best MM images to date. The extreme lighting conditions that were managed in this image, combined with the detail and tonality rendered are a testament to both the photographer and the camera. Bravo.

dierk

shades of grey

many more on my flickr (incl. screen shots of LR 4.1 and Nik Silver Efex2 and full size images)

My first impressions of the MM after 2 weeks are here at the.me
and three RAW DGNs for download and comparison between M9 and MM here at the.me

click for larger images

Leica M Monochrom, Leica Apo Summicron 75mm/2.0
light tent at window

Leica M9 Monochrom, Summilux 35/1.4 FLE

Last edited:
S

Spiritshooter

Overall, the exposure looks very nice. The clipped highlight is typical of what I have been seeing. I have no issue that it is clipped/blown, but the harshness of the tonal transitions at the boundaries is what concerns me.

Can you elaborate on how this image was metered?
Did you consider the light when metering?

Thanks
Mike