The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M Accessories Press release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
PRESS RELEASE
NEW RANGE OF ACCESSORIES FOR THE LEICA M EXPANDS SYSTEM CAPABILITIES
Solms, Germany (September 17, 2012) - Leica Camera presents new accessories for the Leica M to increase the potential uses of the camera and go far beyond the classical capabilities of rangefinder photography. These latest additions include the Leica R-Adapter M, the Leica EVF2 electronic viewfinder, the multifunctional handgrip-M with optional finger loops and the Leica Microphone Adapter Set.
For the first time ever in the history of the Leica M-System, the R-Adapter M enables almost all Leica R-Lenses to be mounted on the new Leica M. Users can access a list of 20 dedicated profiles, including calibrated imaging workflows and Exif lens recognition, for a range of R-Lenses covering wide-angles, telephoto, zoom and macro lenses. This comprehensive portfolio of lenses opens up new potential for Leica M photographers, such as video recording with Leica R zooms.
The new high-resolution Leica electronic Visoflex viewfinder (EVF2) has a resolution of 1.4 megapixels and a 90° swivel action for capturing images from unusual angles. When mounted on the camera it displays all significant exposure parameters and allows precise subject assessment, especially in brightly lit surroundings. In combination with the R-Adapter, R-Lenses and the viewfinder, the Leica M can be used independently from its monitor in the same way as an SLR camera.
With the new multifunctional handgrip-M with integrated GPS module, users can save exposure location information in the EXIF image data (geotagging) and later sort and display images according to location. To permit the use of a separate flash unit when an accessory viewfinder is mounted on the camera, the multifunctional handgrip-M also provides a dedicated SCA hot shoe that communicates with the camera in the same way as its own hot shoe. The Leica SCA Adapter Set, comprised of a flash bar and a spiral cable with a hot shoe, is also available for this purpose. The multifunctional handgrip also provides a socket for a remote power supply and a DIN/ISO X-sync socket for studio flash systems. An optional remote power unit (DC Adapter) is also available. The Leica M can also be connected directly to a computer workstation via the handgrip’s integrated USB socket, allowing full remote control of the camera with the ‘Leica Image Shuttle’ software package and the transfer of image files directly to the computer by USB cable. The multifunctional handgrip-M is a valuable aid to safe and steady handling of the camera, particularly when shooting with heavier R-lenses. The optional finger loops (available in sizes S, M and L) further enhance safe and steady handling of the camera and lens system. These can also be used in combination with the handgrip-M without additional functions.
As a special accessory for the 1080p Full HD video capability of the Leica M, the range also includes a Leica Microphone Adapter Set consisting of an adapter and a stereo microphone. The adapter also allows the connection of other microphones.
An additional offering is the ever-ready case, specifically created for the new Leica M. The accessories will be available from Leica dealers, including the Leica Store Washington DC, in early 2013.

V

Vivek

It is the same one that is offered by Olympus (presumably made by Epson) which is much cheaper!

stephengilbert

Am I correct in concluding that focus checking checking must be done in the EVF or on the LCD, that the OVF is the same as it was on the M8/9 (with the possible exception of changing the brightline method)?

As someone said on TOP, I can't wait to see the reaction to people using Leica M cameras by holding them away from their faces and framing and focusing on the LCD.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Am I correct in concluding that focus checking checking must be done in the EVF or on the LCD, that the OVF is the same as it was on the M8/9 (with the possible exception of changing the brightline method)?

As someone said on TOP, I can't wait to see the reaction to people using Leica M cameras by holding them away from their faces and framing and focusing on the LCD.
I'm a bit confused on this one as well. Im very curious on what the focus preview button does on the body is in the optical finder or the LCD/EVF

jlm

Workshop Member
i got the impression you push the button for a magnified image, both peaking and mag only visible in an electronic display

D&A

A few questions regarding the EVF. If say one was to mount a Leica 18mm coded lens, I would assume the entire frame seen through e EVF would be equivalent to that seen by the 18mm? likewise the same for mounting any other Leica coded focal length lens ( I presume). If this is correct, I would assume the camera has to either read the code of the lens or it has to be selected via menu? Lastly if all this is true, then one ould assume their would be some sort of menu selection for long lenses such as a 400, 600mm, so that the view through the EVF would also show a full frame of these focal lengths?

Many have said the Olympus EVF is the sane one as the Leica, but from web images I've seen, the rear of each looks different, with a connector port on the back of the Leica that appears to be absent on the Olympus?

Dave (D&A)

stephengilbert

Doesn't the EVF read what's on the chip? So no need for coding lenses for the EVF to work. That's why it'll work with R lenses.

jonoslack

A few questions regarding the EVF. If say one was to mount a Leica 18mm coded lens, I would assume the entire frame seen through e EVF would be equivalent to that seen by the 18mm? likewise the same for mounting any other Leica coded focal length lens ( I presume). If this is correct, I would assume the camera has to either read the code of the lens or it has to be selected via menu? Lastly if all this is true, then one ould assume their would be some sort of menu selection for long lenses such as a 400, 600mm, so that the view through the EVF would also show a full frame of these focal lengths?

Many have said the Olympus EVF is the sane one as the Leica, but from web images I've seen, the rear of each looks different, with a connector port on the back of the Leica that appears to be absent on the Olympus?

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave
Stephen has it - no need for coding, if you're in live view it's reading off the chip, so there's no need for the camera to know anything about the lens to show it full frame in the EVF. However, it seems that the firmware really does know about the lenses (M or R) with respect to image processing.

I think that the focus preview (magnification and focus peaking) only works in EVF and Live view modes - (there's no news of overlays in the optical viewfinder).

NB - I could be wrong - this is just impressions from the press releases and hands on previews (I was on a stormy beach in Crete at the time).

jlm

Workshop Member
so a new version of a hybrid viewfinder: LCD and EVF that show what the sensor sees, and an optical rangefinder that shows electronic framelines but a constant field of view. that transition from one to the other might be weird