The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

THE NEW LEICA M Press Release

iiiNelson

Two entirely different cameras. BTW, a new M with a 35mm f/2 Cron will set you back over $10k. That is more than 3.5x the price of the RX1.
Not really... I already have a 35 Summicron. The M is infinitely more versatile as well for me. Just saying people are saying this is overpriced when it's priced the same way the M9 was 3 weeks ago and offers so much more than the M9 on paper.

Besides... It was more in response to people referring to the RX1 as the "Leica Killer." The consensus on the internet boards was that it is the precursor to the FF NEX (which may be true.) I don't know about that but it is a nearly $3500 point and shoot with an EVF. Mind you I'm sure it's a great tool for those looking for a pocketable FF single focal length camera but an M killer it is not.

PeterA

brilliant piece of gear IMHO - can't wait to see some full size files. Love the live view and focus peaking - well done Leica.

Shashin

Not really... I already have a 35 Summicron. The M is infinitely more versatile as well for me. Just saying people are saying this is overpriced when it's priced the same way the M9 was 3 weeks ago and offers so much more than the M9 on paper.

Besides... It was more in response to people referring to the RX1 as the "Leica Killer." The consensus on the internet boards was that it is the precursor to the FF NEX (which may be true.) I don't know about that but it is a nearly $3500 point and shoot with an EVF. Mind you I'm sure it's a great tool for those looking for a pocketable FF single focal length camera but an M killer it is not.
Cameras cannot be killed--they are inanimate objects. I really don't understand this competitive nature in photographers. Like marketing copy from manufacturers, I don't pay much attention to the hyperbola from pundits--I thought the Nex 7 was the Leica killer? (I wish people would make up their minds). I don't see neither the M nor RX1 as overpriced. But neither do I see them as equivalent.

D&A

Bob Wrote >>>"All I wanted was a tiny focus confirmation dot visible through the RF eyepiece."<<<

Exactly!! That is what I had been hoping for since the original M8 was released. A small red dot showing focus confirmation inside the viewfinder was all that was needed as a simple effective means of indicating correct focus was achieved.

Guy wrote>>>"I'm with Bob just a damn green dot to confirm focus would make me think more on it."<<<

I'm sorry Guy, I was with you 100% of the way until you specified the focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder should be "green"! I've only seen red focus confirmation dots and to now change it to green is beyond what is acceptable in my opinion...LOL!! You're right though...something tells me a focus confirmation indicator would have been a good approach.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
WOW. It's been five hours since Guy posted this and no one has mentioned that this new M can taKe R lenses with an adapter. So this is the R solution all of us R users have been waiting for. I'm guessing that the fact that this camera is called the M has cause all R users to give it a pass and not read the fine print.

I'm speaking for myself as well here as I saw Guy's post when it first appeared, looked for an "R" connection and missed it. It's only because a friend in Australia sent me an email saying "I think this might be your solution, Lawrence" that I went back and read the specs more carefully.

So it's $6950. Then, R users would need the R adapter and the viewfinder. I'm guessing 9K with both of these. My issue is that I also HATE EVF's, though my limited experience is with the Sony A77. I'll take an OVF any day... though the live view and focus magnification on the A77 is brilliant for stationary subjects.

This sensor better be groundbreaking as I've been doing tests with the Sigma DP2M files and I'm seeing sharpness and IQ that compares favorably with medium format. Me needs to know if the new M has an AA filter and how much it will smear the image. I'm not in the least impressed with the new Cannon 1DX files due to the smearing at even low iso.

Much as this "could" be the solution us R users have long been waiting for... the sensor and EVF are going to have to be significantly better than what already exists for me to sell my DMR some Leica glass to afford this hit.

This is not a camera I'll consider until I've personally been able to download full res files and print very large.

Lawrence

The R adapter is quite interesting. I guess I wonder why now and not before . Anyway the other issue is some of them are old designs and how they will hold up, great on a 10 mpx fat pixel DMR but times have changed to a more demanding smaller micron sensor. My bet they will be fine but something to think about and now need to go find them in the deep corners of shops. LOL

Geez just thinking of the 180 F2 just makes me silly thinking about it. I'm actually kind of thinking about it again. I will certainly wait till its all out and settled down but I always said I want to retire with a M in my hand. Now retire I mean commercial shooting and I'm working on that right now. I'm actually looking for a job. I want out of freelance commercial shooting but stay in the business.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob Wrote >>>"All I wanted was a tiny focus confirmation dot visible through the RF eyepiece."<<<

Exactly!! That is what I had been hoping for since the original M8 was released. A small red dot showing focus confirmation inside the viewfinder was all that was needed as a simple effective means of indicating correct focus was achieved.

Guy wrote>>>"I'm with Bob just a damn green dot to confirm focus would make me think more on it."<<<

I'm sorry Guy, I was with you 100% of the way until you specified the focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder should be "green"! I've only seen red focus confirmation dots and to now change it to green is beyond what is acceptable in my opinion...LOL!! You're right though...something tells me a focus confirmation indicator would have been a good approach.

Dave (D&A)

LOL. It's funny I saw something in the specs I suggested a long time ago with Stephan Daniels in a bar and we talked about all this electronic stuff but the lit up frame lines was my idea. Now not sure it came from me exactly but it gave me a chuckle when I saw that in the press release. Leica is pretty good at listening to ideas sometimes. I miss my buddy over there Christian but love to review this damn thing for sure.

Lars

The R adapter is quite interesting. I guess I wonder why now and not before .
Without a TTL viewfinder R lenses would have been very difficult to use. With the EVF you can see what you shoot instead of aiming wildly with that Apo-Telyt.

edwardkaraa

Anyone is annoyed by the use of AA filter on the M sensor? I find it quite a deal breaker to be honest, but perhaps it is a weak one.

BeeWee

Used too high a shutter speed.
Just looking at the video again, there appears to be a fair bit of jello-cam effect. Not sure if this is because they were using pre-production firmware but it's more likely due to some lag on the sensor readout. CMOSIS supposedly has some global shutter designs on their sensors but it's not clear whether they have incorporated the global shutter technology into the new M sensor.