The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

THE NEW LEICA M Press Release

tashley

Subscriber Member
* The fatter, heavier aspect is a bummer.
* Long term suffering from Stockholm syndrome means I think the pricing is reasonable.
* Video I don't care about but don't mind either, unless it is in some way responsible for the extra heft.
* The EVF is vital to me: I sold my M9 because I was sick of lenses and bodies going out of whack with each other. But I really wanted an in-body EVF: the 'mansard' style roof extension is ungainly and is likely to require a separate power-off switch.
* Other stuff as options (GPS etc) great if you need them, nice not to pay for them if you don't. I don't.

I was about to pre-order and then I thought twice. This one I will wait out to see if the IQ is great. IMHO the only reason to stick with Leica M now that it is fatter and more complicated is the ability to use Leica glass: that is the one thing that no one else does better, which is why I still own all mine... and most of it doesn't play well with NEX or MFT cameras with adaptors because of the micro lens issue.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just read the brochure. It is not made explicitly clear whether or not the focus peaking and zoomed view are shown in the EVF. I assume they are but it would be good to get that confirmed...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah,
Not enough data on the focus peaking.
If only via lcd then it solves the tripod issue
if it requires the evf for eyelevel use (and that is not clear) then that makes it useless as far as I am concerned. I HATE EVFs unless they have something completely unusual up their sleeve.
Looking at the EVF hump makes me want to yell "Sanctuary" :ROTFL:
All I wanted was a tiny focus confirmation dot visible through the RF eyepiece.
Maybe waiting for the M.next
-bob

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ooo I LOVE EVFs. I love them so much that if they made an M form factor camera with ONLY an EVF I'd snap it up... but better still a Fuji X100 style hybrid...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ooo I LOVE EVFs. I love them so much that if they made an M form factor camera with ONLY an EVF I'd snap it up... but better still a Fuji X100 style hybrid...
A X100 style is another matter. Yes, I LOVE it.
Gimme one that takes M lenses and I am all over it.
-bob

dseelig

I am a little bummed only 6400 but if it is good I can work with it. My biggest problem with the m9 was anything over 1600 but really 1250 was my hoped for limit with the m9. the M-E holds interest for me at all. I do liek the faster frame rate. 3 fps is nice. I do like the evf possiblity working with a 90 and 75 wiil be much nicer.

Lars

The lack of stupid-high ISOs like 12,800 and up probably won't be an issue to real photographers, especially with f/1.4 lenses.
ISO 12800 and up with an f/1.4 lens certainly has its appeal, especially with the kind of available-light handheld photography an M is ideal for.

Godfrey

I'm certain that the EVF shows exactly what the LCD shows, just like it does on the X2 and the various Olympus models that use the same EVF. Can't imagine why it would be any different.

The RF portion of the new M is the optical viewfinder/rangefinder with LCD framing overlays, like one of the special models had. A nice advance over the old mechanical framelines IMO.

Godfrey

ISO 12800 and up with an f/1.4 lens certainly has its appeal, especially with the kind of available-light handheld photography an M is ideal for.
It's nice to have the camera see in the dark like that, but honestly I don't find myself really needing it all that much. ISO 3200 and 6400 even with the f/2.8 lens on the X2 seems to work darn well.

dude163

Yeah,
if it requires the evf for eyelevel use (and that is not clear) then that makes it useless as far as I am concerned. I HATE EVFs unless they have something completely unusual up their sleeve.
Looking at the EVF hump makes me want to yell "Sanctuary" :ROTFL:
All I wanted was a tiny focus confirmation dot visible through the RF eyepiece.
Maybe waiting for the M.next
-bob

John Dooley demonstrates The Leica M on Vimeo

tashley

Subscriber Member
One other thing: max shutter is 1/4000th which isn't fast enough to shoot wide open in daylight, especially with the slowest pull ISO at 100...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm 6mpx boost and a unproven CMOS chip. Sure the higher iso noise will be better but I'm with Bob just a damn green dot to confirm focus would make me think more on it . Honestly I need to read more on it and see what it can do but not sure I would buy it given the price in the M9 dropped and in the end may have the better look. The M9 does actually look better. Not what Leica fans want to hear but with CMOS at 24mpx one wonders if Nikon/canon or the new Sonys would be better. This may take 3 firmware updates to get it looking right.

iiiNelson

This sounds about like what I wanted. I've been going to a lot of boards and it seems people are okay with paying over $3000 (with EVF) for a full frame point and shoot but paying twice as much for a full frame interchangeable camera with live view is too much apparently.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This may take 3 firmware updates to get it looking right.
And with those guys that is about 21 months....

Just saying....

Actually I am a bit relieved that nothing from L at PKina has peaked my interest. The M9-P does look very good...not long before stocks are gone.

Bob

Shashin

This sounds about like what I wanted. I've been going to a lot of boards and it seems people are okay with paying over $3000 (with EVF) for a full frame point and shoot but paying twice as much for a full frame interchangeable camera with live view is too much apparently.
Two entirely different cameras. BTW, a new M with a 35mm f/2 Cron will set you back over $10k. That is more than 3.5x the price of the RX1.

WOW. It's been five hours since Guy posted this and no one has mentioned that this new M can taKe R lenses with an adapter. So this is the R solution all of us R users have been waiting for. I'm guessing that the fact that this camera is called the M has cause all R users to give it a pass and not read the fine print.

I'm speaking for myself as well here as I saw Guy's post when it first appeared, looked for an "R" connection and missed it. It's only because a friend in Australia sent me an email saying "I think this might be your solution, Lawrence" that I went back and read the specs more carefully.

So it's $6950. Then, R users would need the R adapter and the viewfinder. I'm guessing 9K with both of these. My issue is that I also HATE EVF's, though my limited experience is with the Sony A77. I'll take an OVF any day... though the live view and focus magnification on the A77 is brilliant for stationary subjects.

This sensor better be groundbreaking as I've been doing tests with the Sigma DP2M files and I'm seeing sharpness and IQ that compares favorably with medium format. Me needs to know if the new M has an AA filter and how much it will smear the image. I'm not in the least impressed with the new Cannon 1DX files due to the smearing at even low iso.

Much as this "could" be the solution us R users have long been waiting for... the sensor and EVF are going to have to be significantly better than what already exists for me to sell my DMR some Leica glass to afford this hit.

This is not a camera I'll consider until I've personally been able to download full res files and print very large.

Lawrence

BeeWee

Looks like the viewfinder got tweeked:
- parallax compensatin for a distance of 2m (same as M8.2 instead of 0.7m on the M8, and 1m on the M9)
- LED lit framelines like the M9 Titanium