The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed: Old M lenses on the M9

Frits

I would appreciate some advice.
I am seriously contemplating buying an M9(P).
I have shot some with an M3 and now with my M2. The 2 lenses I have is a Summicron 50mm Rigid f2 as well as a Summaron 35mm f2.8 (both in excellent condition).
Now, I understand that these lenses don't match up with the latest and greatest and I am fine with that.
My question is 2 fold:
1 - These lenses are not coded. Can I manually address this with the M9 (they don't seem to be in the manual lens setting menu).
2 - More importantly: I seem to read that focusing may be off somewhat with these lenses. Advice I read is along the lines of "get a feel for how much it is off - especially nearby with the 50 - and live with it".

My need:
- absent of coding, I need to be able to manually set the camera for these lenses and have them perform well.
- I need focusing to be spot on.

Your comments, experience?

Thanks.

atanabe

Fritz,
You can manually enter the codes for lenses in the M9 menu. The codes are mainly to compensate for vignetting with wide angle lenses 35mm and wider. If the lens is not listed in the menu, experiment, use a code for another lens of the same focal length and shoot a plain white to mid gray target. See which code works for your lens.

For example, I have a Voightlander 15 f4.5 (first version) LTM that I code as the Leica 21 Elmarit for best edge correction. Again experiment.

You can have your lenses checked and calibrated but before doing that try them on the new M9, they may not be off at all but instead your older M bodies need attention.

-Al

Brian S

I use the collapsible Summicron and Type 1 Rigid Summicron on the M9. I enter in the selection for the first 50/2 on the menu. Focus is spot-on with my lenses.

cam

as others have said, you can manually enter a code in the Menu-- so no worries there.

as for whether the focus is spot-on is another matter. film is a lot more forgiving than the digital equivalent, especially if shooting wide open. you *may* find you need to have the lenses calibrated.

i say may because some people have found that they can learn the little quirks of their lenses and don't have issues with a lens being slightly off. me, i'm not so good!

at one point, i thought i was losing my eyesight until i took the camera and two of my most beloved night lenses (50/1 and 75/1.4) only to find all 3 were off and in different directions :banghead:

mind you, this was the first time these lenses had ever been tweaked (CLA) and the Nocti is from 1975. it's been solid ever since (over a year) and i don't expect a need to have it looked at again for several years (decades?)... and. no, i haven't bothered to code either of these lenses. no problems whatsoever on either the M9 (where i do it manually in the menu -- though i sometimes forget, lol, but it never seems to be much of an issue) or the M8 (where this isn't an option.

Brian S

The Type 1 Rigid Summicron has a removable lens head. IF (and mine did not need this) the lens back-focuses, you can easily remove the lens head and use some kitchen foil to make a "shim" to correct the focus.

Frits

Thanks all for your good advice / experiences thus far.
I was aware of entering the lens code via the camera menu and it seems that you have had good success.
I intend to take my 2 lenses to our local Leica dealer and try them out.

Also: the newly announced ME might just be perfect for my needs.