The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wanted- Live view Monochrome M

V

Vivek

That is the one which is sorely missing from Leica's line up. I would like that better than the CCD based MM which is restricted to only range finder lenses.

cam

i beg to differ... i really love the look of the CCD on the Monochrom. it makes my heart melt.

what i *don't* like, however, is the fact that it is based on the M9 which has a buffer the size of a pea and, to my knowledge, still has bugs in the firmware when shooting Soft and Discreet.

V

Vivek

Cam, Once the M (the one with liveview/CMOS) images show up, this "CCD look" feeling will disappear. There is nothing magical about it. If there is something magical, I am sure Leica will go back to CCD on demand.

Newer, better and more versatile technology has reached Leica.

cam

i'm not convinced, but i haven't seen proper images from the new sensor so i shouldn't really comment.

(by proper, mind you, i mean images that have been taken in conditions like i shoot.)

i can't afford either at this point, especially as the used prices on the M9 will plummet such that i would be daft to let it go... sigh.

V

Vivek

Yes, that (the introduction of the M-E -the would be cause for the M9/9P price drop) is a pity.

cam

so, do you really think the magic of the Monochrom is the fact that it is a monochrome sensor and that the CCD sensor has nothing to do with it?

V

Vivek

The major tech problem Leica faced with the CMOS sensor is the heat dissipation. Once they took care of that, the M became a reality.

Yes, I think a monochrome CMOS will be better (and there will be no difference in the "looks").

cam

i bow to your technical knowledge, sir!

however, unfortunately, i think the Monochrom came about as a way to keep the M9 alive (i.e., money-making) and to do something different. i can't imagine them rushing out to do the same on the M -- though i'd love to be proven wrong. (and you right, of course :p )

if you start a petition, i'll sign.