Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Photokina and the new M

Galveston, TX
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photokina and the new M

Well, as someone that has worked in technology all of my life, I know that if a company waits until the engineers think it is "perfect" (i.e. good enough) it would never get out the door. It usually, takes a marketing or sales person to say this is good enough let's stop and start shipping and then address major issues as they arise.

As a program/project manager I don't have a problem with this approach becasue try as we might including all kinds of automated testing, the complexity of today's software means that we will miss somthing that users will find. The key to me when I evaluate a company is how quickly they address these issues, if at all. It is in this realm that I fault Leica. They have been slow to acknowledge and address issues often leaving customers hanging for months without working equipment (unless you are among the select few that get loaners). A simple example would be the problem they had and may still have to some degree with using various SD cards, a problem I never experienced with any other vendor. It took until long into M9 production for them to admit they had a problem and even longer to develop a solution.

Their experience with a CMOS sensor is very limited. It may be even more limited than we know in that Sony may have provided a pretty complete development tool set where all they had to do was tweak certain algorithms to meet their image "look" requirements. CMOSIS may not have such an extensive library of support tools. Further the Maestro processor was designed to work with a CCD sensor. Read outs and processing from CCD is very different thatn read-outs and processing from CMOS. How well has the interface been redesigned to go from an analog output to a digital one?

Dalsa has a good write up explaining the differences and the problems with each. The key in CMOS is experience to overcome its shortcomings. I can't tell how much CMOSIS has but one of the points Dalsa makes in their paper is that having your own foundry is key to successful high performance CMOS. I got the impression that CMOSIS is dependent on an outside French foundry for production. It will be interesting to watch.
    V/r John
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Albuquerque, NM
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photokina and the new M

I would expect nothing less of Leica than to use a chip cast in a foundry.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post