The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica-R lens recommendations

iiiNelson

With the possibility of using R lenses on the new M I was curious about recommendations on the better R lenses to collect if I see them locally for a great price before the prices jump too much. I didn't really get into the thought of owning Leica until right before the R was discontinued and I was still coming from an autofocus and superzoom out of convenience mindset at that time.

I pretty much have 24-90 covered already in M lenses (or 35-135 when adapted to the NEX.) A decent zoom or two and a few longer primes would be welcomed though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don't yell this one to loud the R19 latest version is very good. If you want extremely sharp 90 cron. The 180 apo 2.8 is also very very good.

Cheap zoom 35-70 F4

iiiNelson

cool... They just happen to have a used 90 cron and 35-70 at the local shop in pretty good condition. I can get both for about $800... Shhhhh...

Shac

FYI - THE 90 Cron is the Asph-Apo version and it's usually around $3K used. Consider also the V2 90 Elmarit - excellent performer and a good price used. Possibly better than the pre-Asph/Apo Cron. Also the f4 version of the 35-70 is said to be significantly better than the f3.5 version. Benroy just sold one at a good price here recently.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Since you're covered with M lens from 24-90, you may want to consider the 100 APO and 180 APO to cover the tele end. The 80-200/4 is also an option to consider.

pgmj

The 80-200/4 is great if f/4 is ok for your use, especially at 100-180mm. The minimum focusing distance is a closer than most primes, which of course is nice for close ups.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The very best R glass are the 90/100/180/2.8 /280/4 APO . They are expensive only the 100/2.8APO is below $3K . (assuming you are desiring to not overlap the M glass below 90). These are the 4 lenses that you should never sell.

Two that are really good values are 90/2.8 Elmarit (last version) and the 180/2.8 67MM pre apo . The 180/3.4APO is a great lens but its set up for distance and not easy to use for say portraits .

The three summiluxes that have superb character and are loved by most R users are the 35/50(60mm version) and the 80/1.4. These overlap with the M and if I was using an M I would prefer the M glass.

Lens in the 100-180 wil be the most sought after by the new M users .

craigrudlin

I am looking to use R lenses on my new D800E.

Which are the best for wider angles and "normal" focal lengths.
I have read great debate regarding, for example, the summicron vs
the summilux 50 mm, and varying reports on the elmarit 28mm
and the elmarit 35mm.

I realize that a lot depends on personal "style" and the type of photography. I work in abstract, landscape, "fine art" and NOT portraits/wedding. I
really appreciate bokeh and the micro-contrast, 3-D, natural color
rendition.

I deeply appreciate the opinions of the readers in this blog. THANK YOU

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The D800E is a stiff test of any lens . You will notice differences that may not be apparent in sensors with fewer MP (like say the D700 or even the 5D2 ). E Puts has been the authority on the R glass and describes each lens in more detail than most need.

The summiluxes 35/50/80 are best know for the aesthetic they produce . Sharp in the center with nice micro contrast and smooth bokeh . The 50/1.4 60mm version has the strongest overall IQ but all three are well thought of especially for environmental portraits . There are better alternatives for the subjects you favor.

The summicrons 35/50/90 have a classic Leica look .. a good all around balance and not many issues if stopped down to f4 -f8 . The 90APO is exceptional ..the pre apo is sought more for character . The 35/50 are both very strong especially stopped down .

The elmarits are a mixed bag ....almost depends on age . The newest 19/28 are best in class optics ...the 24 is not . Never heard anything great about the 35. The 60/2.8 is well regarded as is the newest 90 . 135 not so much .

I kept all my APO telephotos but sold off my less than 90mm group except for the 50 and 80 summiluxes . I would really like to have the latest 19 and 28 elmarits for use on the D800E . However Zeiss has great lenses in this range at about half the cost . The one I miss is the 35/2 ZF.2 .

iiiNelson

Thanks for all the responses. I wouldn't mind a 80 Summilux if I can find one at a decent price and a 19 Elmarit as well if I could find one. Other than that I was looking for stuff longer than 90mm outside the potential of a walk around zoom like the 28-90.

JWW

I had the same thoughts regarding R lenses for the new M (I put one of order). I did some internet research and read my copy of Put's Leica Compendium and decided, for the price, performance, and focal length range to get a late model 80-200/4 R Vario Elmar. The MTF looks decent especially towards the long end. This new M sure opens up possibilities!

sven

With the possibility of using R lenses on the new M I was curious about recommendations on the better R lenses to collect if I see them locally for a great price before the prices jump too much. I didn't really get into the thought of owning Leica until right before the R was discontinued and I was still coming from an autofocus and superzoom out of convenience mindset at that time.

I pretty much have 24-90 covered already in M lenses (or 35-135 when adapted to the NEX.) A decent zoom or two and a few longer primes would be welcomed though.
Unfortunately, prices are already very high, overinflated for some R lenses. I do not think M240 would affect prices much, like Nikon, canon and m4/3 adopters did.

I have used R lenses using both DMR and D800e. In my humble opinion, none of them are superior to what the M lenses offer in the 21-90mm range. As suggested by others, the 100 , 180 Apo may be worth trying, but having said that I cannot imagine many practical situations where you would use them. I am also at a loss to understand the excitement to buy R lenses at their current prices to be able to use on the M. If you really want to take advantage of these long lenses, the Nikon D800/e is a whole lot better option.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Unfortunately, prices are already very high, overinflated for some R lenses. I do not think M240 would affect prices much, like Nikon, canon and m4/3 adopters did.

I have used R lenses using both DMR and D800e. In my humble opinion, none of them are superior to what the M lenses offer in the 21-90mm range. As suggested by others, the 100 , 180 Apo may be worth trying, but having said that I cannot imagine many practical situations where you would use them. I am also at a loss to understand the excitement to buy R lenses at their current prices to be able to use on the M. If you really want to take advantage of these long lenses, the Nikon D800/e is a whole lot better option.
Agree 100% . When comparing the R glass to the M ....the R lenses that stand out start with the 100APO/180/2.8APO/280/4APO . In the 90 and below I would pick the M version everytime . This doesn t mean that there are not great lenses in the R line (previously discussed ) but just that they are not "better " than the M and of course don t couple to the RF (plus they are bigger and will not balance as well ).

I ve converted the 19/28/50.1/4/80/100 to use on the D800E and could not be happier ..especially for street shooting at night where having a run from 1600 thru 6400 ISO is common .

I see the use of R glass on the new M as an extension of the M capabilities ...having a 180 for example provides enough reach to just add the lens to my travel kit .

Of course if you are looking for a zoom or macro capability then the R glass can provide a alternative with a similar aesthetic and IQ to your M lenses .

Finding good quality R lenses without paying inflated Hong Kong prices is a neat trick . I am still looking for a 35/1.4 R and generally I never have to look more than a few weeks .

Seascape

Agree with what most people are saying about using M lenses below 90mm, I have held onto my 100, and 180 Apo's and I'm really looking forward to using them on the new M.

However I am still concerned about letting my 80 Summilux go, I just love it's rendering.
Yes the 75 Lux is pretty much the same lens, but I just think the 80 is a very special lens......I highly recommend it :thumbs:

The Leica-R's are fetching big dollars as many cinematographers are gobbling them up. I have the Summiluxes 35/50/80 that I found on eBay in like new condition. I love them, especially the 80 for portraits.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Agree with what most people are saying about using M lenses below 90mm, I have held onto my 100, and 180 Apo's and I'm really looking forward to using them on the new M.

However I am still concerned about letting my 80 Summilux go, I just love it's rendering.
Yes the 75 Lux is pretty much the same lens, but I just think the 80 is a very special lens......I highly recommend it :thumbs:
The 80 lux was one of the few R lenses I haven t considered selling . It handles like a dream on the D800E as I am sure it would on the new M . The open question for the new M will be ..if you had an informal portrait shoot ..would you prefer the EVF to a RF . Seems like focus peaking works particularly well when focusing on a leading eye . Then if you had both the 80R and the 75M which would you use (this is more about handling as I believe Puts that they are essentially the same formula ). So I think you could make an argument that the 80R maybe preferred .