The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica-R lens recommendations

apsheng

..... I've converted the 19/28/50.1/4/80/100 to use on the D800E and could not be happier ..especially for street shooting at night where having a run from 1600 thru 6400 ISO is common .... .
Hi Roger:
I converted my R glass to Sony mount and used them on the A900. However, focusing had always been a challenge especially with the R80 @1.4. Now I am considering getting the A99 for its EVF and focus peaking. I am curious how well manual focusing works on the D800E? Does it have an optional split-image screen? I apologize that I am not familiar with the latest Nikon gear.
Thanks,
Alan

algrove

Not in the top 4 perhaps, but the 80-200/4 is a very versatile lens and still reasonably priced. The 28-90 balances very nice on the M.

Will be trying the R 15/2.8, 19/2.8 and maybe 28/2.8 PC tomorrow at the Pro Shop WPB on the M.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi Roger:
I converted my R glass to Sony mount and used them on the A900. However, focusing had always been a challenge especially with the R80 @1.4. Now I am considering getting the A99 for its EVF and focus peaking. I am curious how well manual focusing works on the D800E? Does it have an optional split-image screen? I apologize that I am not familiar with the latest Nikon gear.
Thanks,
Alan
I ve had good luck in using manual focus on with R lenses on the D800E . I spent a lot of years focusing off a ground glass screen using manual focus . My technique s similar to using an M ..I find a high contrast item that approximates the distance I need . The more I shoot the higher my hit ratio of in focus photographs . Probably the most difficult aspect is understanding that there is no such thing as a hyperfocal distance using a d800 until you get above f5.6 . When you miss you can easily see it . I have very good eyesight and can still focus on a highlight when its plenty dark out . I don t think my experience is conventional wisdom as few photographers like manual focus on a d800E .

I would love a better focusing screen but I am I understand they are actually darker . So I might focus better but not see the frame as well . No one seems to be tackling the D800 with replacement screens and I have two bodies where the screen seems pretty well calibrated ..so I am not interested in making a change .

apsheng

Thanks Roger for sharing your experience with manual focusing on the D800E. Unfortunately my eyesight is not what it used to be. I find it difficult even with a matte screen on the A900. My last Nikon was the F3HP and was hoping they still offer a similar split-image screen. Would have loved to try the D800E for my R glass but sounds like it won't be an improvement over the A900.

Alan

yatlee

Sony A99 with focus magnification is the way to go. I have no problem focusing wide open with it. It also comes with build in stablization.

algrove

I never owned one, but it was the Leica R series cameras which have long been discontinued. The last R camera was the R9 which was discontinued in 2009 by Leica so now that the new M can use R glass via an R to M adapter these lenses can be used on this new Leica camera.

If you are not into Leica, the reason this is somewhat of a big deal is that the longest M lens has always been the 135mm. The R lenses have some very long telephoto lenses in the series (15 to 800mm) with the 80-200, APO 70-180 and the 105-280 favorite zoom lenses. Fixed lenses in the most popular telephotos are 180, 280 with some very special modular long lenses in 280/400/560 range. Of course most of these lenses can take the Leica APO 2x and some the APO 1.4x extenders which give very long range, high quality images.

Also R macro lenses are some of the best, specifically the APO 100/2.8, but a non-APO 60/2.8 is also available.

jonoslack

Nice Reply Lou
I really can't see much point in using wider R lenses on the M - the M lenses are almost always at least as good, much smaller, and of course they're rangefinder coupled too.

I've used the following:

21-35 zoom - not bad, but not great (I'm going to sell mine)
28-90 zoom - fantastic - sharp all over, and it handles nicely
80-200 f4 zoom - I really like this lens - nice quality and focuses quite close
60 Macro Elmarit - It works really well
180 f2.8 APO - Legendary lens - just lovely . . . I'm going to sell mine though, because I like the 80-200 zoom, and I'm not likely to carry both with me!

Anything except zoom or macro 135mm or below I'd rather use an M lens.

all the best