The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M with SLR lenses

JWW

When the new Leica M was announced, this really got my curiosity up on how the M would work with non M lenses, so decided to experiment using my M9P (although shooting blindly with no live view).

I have a few old Nikon AIS lenses so I ordered a $39 Fotodiox Nikon-M adapter from Amazon. It came today and tried out a Tamron zoom with AIS mount using the adapter on my M9P, looking at Haleakala mountain off my backyard. Worked real well with focus set at infinity and shooting 200mm shots. I'll try my Nikon 50/1.2 AIS next.

This is really exciting, with the new M, to be able to shoot non-M lenses using a cheap adapter, all at full format.

Now I'm really itchy to get the new M.

dhsimmonds

As I see it the big advantage of the new M when using R or any third party SLR lenses is the focus peaking aid. No need for split fresnel lenses etc in the viewfinder for example.

However everything hinges on the price!!

Double Negative

Not Available
I think the real question is how to set the aperture on lenses that don't have an aperture ring (e.g. Canon EOS/EF). You'd need the electronics and separate power source for the adapter I'm thinking...

V

Vivek

This has all been worked out for the mirrorless cams. There is no need for electronics to adjust the diaphram of EOS or Nikon G lenses.

The question one has to ask is, "why bother"? ~7,000 Euro camera to attach an el cheapo adapter to use heavy lenses.

This reminds me of the Leica film users going for expired (cheap) films and the super cheap scans that one can possibly get.

sisoje

This has all been worked out for the mirrorless cams. There is no need for electronics to adjust the diaphram of EOS or Nikon G lenses.

The question one has to ask is, "why bother"? ~7,000 Euro camera to attach an el cheapo adapter to use heavy lenses.

This reminds me of the Leica film users going for expired (cheap) films and the super cheap scans that one can possibly get.
Well, "el cheapo" adapter can get you to use some fine Zeiss/Nikon lenses as well... I am hardly waiting to get the new M and some cheap adapter to mount some old Zeiss/Contax lenses ( still smallish in size) that I currently using with my 5D MKII. Especially, looking forward doing some architecture/interiors with new M and Zeiss 35mm shift lens!

BeeWee

I personally would be interested in a M solution for using a Canon 300/2.8. Heavy yes, but its optics are superb and I have one kicking around already.

robsteve

Subscriber
I personally would be interested in a M solution for using a Canon 300/2.8. Heavy yes, but its optics are superb and I have one kicking around already.
Is it a FD mount lens? Canon an adapter from FD to Leica Screw mount range finders. It was called the Canon FD adapter B. With this adapted and a LTM to M mount adapter, you could mount FD lenses on the Leica M.

Here is a completed listing for one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Lens-...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

Hausen

I agree with sisoje regarding T/S lenses. Sold all my T-SE lenses when I exited my Canon gear but am very interested in the Tilt/shift with new M.

Last edited:

douglasf13

I can't say that I really see much of the appeal. The M system is about using fantastically small lenses and camera bodies, along with the rangefinder experience. Using SLR lenses with an EVF on the M negates a lot of that. Once you start using larger lenses, much of the advantage of the smaller camera body goes away, and, at that point, I'd probably rather just have a D800, or rip out the mirror of the A99, or something similar.

I could see buying the camera for M lenses, and then playing around with SLR lenses for fun, but I can't imagine buying the camera for SLR lenses in the first place.

sisoje

Douglas,
I am totally with you! I also prefer using small M mount lenses with M camera. But, as I wrote earlier I would love to mount Contax Zeiss on new M. Those lenses are not that big to start with. Far smaller than any modern AF lenses and such. Zeiss 35 shift is a bit bigger but that lens is for tripod set up anyways and size is not an issue in this case. Where I see an opportunity is to use Zeiss glass and evf with longer lenses as I never liked shooting anything longer. Than 75mm ( 90, 135) looking thru small frames of rangefinder (proper framing anybody???). I own an oldish Zeiss Contax 135mm. I am expecting this to be my new "tele M" in my travel package. This lens is a bit larger than Leica 90mm...
My plan for now...

Hausen

Does anyone here have experience with the Leica R28/2.8 Super Angulon shift lens? Am very interested in getting one for the new M.

vickko

Yes, it is an amazing lens.

I used it on a vacation in Venice and it was superb, straightening out the views. It was like a little hand held LF camera.

Very convenient to use, superb imagery.

I look forward to using it on the M.

Vick

Does anyone here have experience with the Leica R28/2.8 Super Angulon shift lens? Am very interested in getting one for the new M.

edwardkaraa

The question is are we going to see new versions of the M lenses from Leica/Zeiss/Voigtländer with close MFD? That is my main interest in the M.