The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your 3 favorite M-lenses...

bcm

Zeiss ZM 85 f2
Zeiss ZM 50 f2
CV 35 f1.2 II

I prefer the way the Zeiss lenses draw over the Leica ones.

JoelM

For some perverted reasons, I am looking for a bargain priced Macro Elmar 90/4 (only the lens and not the add ons) and the Apo Telyt 135. Let me know if you are selling.
I've had those lenses for a few years now and have no trouble with focus. Also have the 75 summilux. I guess that those might be my 3 M lenses. But, I agree that the new M might make them more desirable as focus becomes more of a non issue. Perhaps Leica will come out with a 180mm f2 or f2.8 lens in the near future.

I don't have the close-up gizmos for the 90/4, but wouldn't mind picking them up on the cheap some day. Doubt that will ever happen.:(

Cheers,

Joel

Godfrey

I have way more M-mount lenses than I really need, yet I'm loathe to part with any of them. And they're mostly not Leica lenses ...

Color-Skopar 21/4
Color-Skoper 28/3.5
Ultron 28/2
Color-Skopar 35/2.5
M-Rokkor 40/2 II
Nokton 40/1.4
Nokton 50/1.5
Color-Skopar 50/2.5
M-Rokkor 90/4
Hektor 135/4.5

Sheesh, ten lenses. But I like all of them, even though they're relatively inexpensive compared to the Leica lenses.

What are my favorites? It depends somewhat on the camera, but I have to say I've used the M-Rokkors (both 40 and 90), the Nokton 40, the Color-Skopar 28, and the Nokton 50 the most. I have four M-mount bodies now:

- The set I use with the GXR most is 21-40/1.4-90
- The set I use with the CL most is 40/2-90
- The set I use with M9 most is 35-50/1.5-135
- The set I use with M4-2 most is 21-50/2.5

(I'd like to add the Summarit or Summicron 75 and Biogon 25/2.8 ZM to the kit eventually too, mostly for use with M9. That damn Magpie Syndrome is a murderous thing on the bank account... )

rayyan

In no particular order..

cron 28 asph
lux 50 asph
cron 75 apo

Does Leica make any other super lenses?

pophoto

1) 28 Cron
2) 50 Cron (I have a v2 lux and a pre-ASPH lux, and I like the cron better than either. What's wrong with me?)
3) 21 Zeiss

--Matt
Nothing is wrong with you (I think ;p), I love the 50crons, having a lux or noct is simply just different, hence the latest 50cron is a flagship model. Also why some people have multiple 50s, especially if that is their favorite FL.

Hosermage

1. 50'Lux ASPH, best lens for my favorite focal length
2. 35'Cron V4, best ergonomics ever
3. ???

I only have a 28mm Elmarit ASPH and 90mm Elmarit-M left, but can't say that I'm committed to keep either. Will probably upgrade to 28'Cron when the opportunity arise, and just received the 90mm so no judgement yet.

iiiNelson

1) 35/2 Summicron ASPH
2) 50/2 ZM Planar
3) 35/1.2 Nokton II

If I had another I'd say it was a toss up between the 90 Summicron Pre-ASPH I got for a steal or the 24 Elmar. It's very much like the 24 Elmarit in the way it draws, slightly slower, and crazy sharp. Probably will add a 50 Summilux or 75 Summicron next though. That new CV 21/1.8 is interesting too.

wolverine

50 lux asph
28 cron asph
90 cron pre asph

A very close 4th is the 75 cron asph. I want that lens back. The 28 just gives me pleasure every time I use it. I am not proficient with wider lenses because of the compositional elements required. The 50 is perfect. The 90 is great for portraits in my book. Would love to try the 135 apo and 75 lux. Frank

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ver IV
Leica Summarit-M 5cm f/1.5 & Leica Summilux-M 1.4/50mm pre-asph
(you're allowed to have at least 2 favorite 50s!)
Leica Summarex 8.5cm f/1.5

Paratom

I am surprised that the 35/2 Asph does not find and love. :bugeyes:
Vivek, I once had a 35/2 pre-asph for many years which served me very well.
However after getting a 35/1.4asph and not being able to code the Version of the 35/2 I had I sold the Summicron.

Some years later I wanted to have a small 35mm lens again. After looking at images on the web from both the 35 Summicron and the 35 Summarit I decided to give the Summarit a try. My findings were a slightly smoother bokeh and a little less contrasty rendering combined with a lower price for the Summarit. Giving up 1/5 f-stop was not so much of a problem for me.
The Summarit is also very flare resistent- I use it without hood all the time without any problems.

So nothing against the Summciron 35 asph and I bet there are areas where it is better than the Summarit, but the 35 Summarit is such a good lens that I guess it is a strong competitor for the 35 Summicron.

ghoonk

At the moment my theory is that my money is better invested in Leica glass than at the bank. Frankly, with the new M and loads of used M9 coming on the market, the price for glass can only go into one direction: north. So why sell unless you need the cash. And I know, I would regret any sell.
Actually, with the new Live View feature, I suspect prices of lenses may not rise as much, seeing that M Type 240 owners will be able to use OEM lenses like the M-Hexanon, LTM lenses, etc without worrying about calibration and collimation. It's kinda hard to say, but I was hoping prices of M lenses would go up.

If anything, if the M-E is readily available at USD4k-ish, it would probably jack up demand for M lenses

Kokoshawnuff

Not to say this is my three lens set, because the 35 and 50 are too close but:

35 cron asph
50 lux asph
90 macro elmar
(my fourth would be the near perfect Telyt 135)

seakayaker

. . . . . this could change on any given day of the week.

1. 35/2 Cron ASPH
2. 50/1.4 Lux ASPH
3. 75/2 APO Cron ASPH

I do love using the 24/3.8 Elmar and 28/1.9 Ultron ASPH when going wider. Then there is 90 Elmarit. Another fast 50 with the Zeiss C Sonnar T* . . . . . then the screw mounts with adaptors.

As others have mentioned, don't sell unless you need to, there will be a regret or two.

fotografz

Three most important as in Location, Location, Location for real estate:

35 Lux ASPH, 35mm Lux ASPH, 35mm Lux ASPH.

-Marc

ashwinrao1

I'd have to say, size non-withstanding

#1: 35 lux FLE
# 2: Tie: Noctilux f/0.95 or SUmmilux 50 asph (though if forced, summilux wins on size and close focus)
#3: 24 Lux asph

Judging M glass is hard, as there is so much fantastic glass and unique looks....I typically try to find a size/useability balance, so if you had to ask what I thought was a practical kit...

21 SE
35 LUX FLE
50 LUX ASPH
90 ELMARIT or APO-Cron