The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your 3 favorite M-lenses...

1. 50 Lux Pre-Asph
2. 28 Cron ASPH
3. Tough to decide 90 APO Cron ASPH or CV15, depends upon my purpose that day. Those wide voigtlanders really are that special.

#1 would break my heart most if I had to part with my M gear. I've owned it from new.

seakayaker

Today, my three favorites are the: Leica 24/3.8; Zeiss 50/1.5; and 75/2.

. . . . . thats what is in my bag today along with my M9.

JSRockit

Zeiss C-Biogon 35mm 2.8
Leica 50mm Summarit 2.5
Leica 35mm Summaron 2.8

Those are my favorites I've owned and used. I've used more expensive lenses and I've used ones that have better IQ, but these have the best ratio of price, quality, sharpness, and ergonomics for my taste.

MB100

1. 35mm f/2.0 Summicron - Small, easiest to use and carry around and my favorite focal length.
2. 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH - THE lens, no getting around it though
3. 90mm f/2.0 Summicron Pre-ASPH - Great for details and portraits absolutely love it, and after focus calibration with my M9 it is stupid good. Leica 90mm f/2 Summicron, initial thoughts | Brian Hirschfeld Photography

I also have the 24mm f/1.4 Summilux which was given to me as a gift, it gets a walk around every now and then or when I know I will be wanting wide angle. It is currently with me in Amsterdam and getting a workout on the M9 Monochrom. To me, it is an "ultra-wide". Anyone think its worth getting the external viewfinder for this lens?

The lens I absolutely regret selling is the 35mm Summarit, absolutely wonderful lens and my copy was totally perfect in every way. I had it since my M8 and then sold it when I got my 50mm Summilux because it was already redundant with the 35mm Summicron.

50mm Summarit is a tolerable lens, no complaints but nothing exceptional about it to me. I sold it along with the 35mm Summarit when I got the 50mm Summilux because it was also redundant at this point. I owned the 50mm Summarit for the shortest time and was probably the lens I have liked least among all the lenses I have owned.

Rented the 35mm Summilux for fun, and didn't find it to be a terribly big IQ improvement over the 35mm Summicron to me so I saw no reason to upgrade to it.

Considering getting the 90mm ASPH APO, and either the 135mm f4 or the 135mm APO. The 90 APO ASPH would replace the Pre-ASPH and the 135mm would be for special situations.

Double Negative

Not Available
I went for a week and a half long vacation at the end of November with these three lenses (plus a 4/21 Color Skopar) and shot like a mad man for five of those days especially, morning to night... Pictures in Walt Disney World 2012 and Tallahassee II, FL.

I used the 50 primarily with the 28/90 about evenly not too far behind. I'd have used the 21 more but I didn't change lenses often for a number of reasons and not having a VF in hindsight didn't help either. Still glad I had it.

My "three lens" kit is:

Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH
Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
Elmar-M 90mm f/2.8

I have a Tele-Elmar-M 135mm f/4 for the top end and will probably pick up a Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH for the wide end and call it a day. Extra points for all lenses having a 46mm filter thread.

IWC Doppel

1. 28mm summicron ASPH
2. 35mm Summilux ASPHERICAL (AA)
3. 50mm summilux Pre-ASPH VII 43mm

I would potentially swap 3. for an f1.0 Noctilux, but I have never owned one. I found it hard to leave out the 75 Summilux

algrove

Today, my three favorites are the: Leica 24/3.8; Zeiss 50/1.5; and 75/2.

. . . . . thats what is in my bag today along with my M9.
Yes, TODAY is the key. Every day my 3 favorites change since I change lenses every time I go out from home. Now on a longish trip one has to get very selective and if the destination is unknown, cover most if not all bases. That's what rolling camera bags and/or backpacks are for!

Sometimes I crave a Mandler day and then on other outings I want a Karbe day.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
35mm Summilux FLE
WATE
MATE

The MATE was sold some years ago to fund my M9, but was recently repurchased. Don't sell anything you use, even if occasionally. You will regret it.