The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your 3 favorite M-lenses...

Paratom

Time for another favorite lens post...
I am looking for some input because I want to reduce my M lens kit.
My problem-I find a reason for each lens I have to keep it.
Thats why I take the different approach, I ask myself which are my favortite lenses and why.
So here I go:
#1: 50 Noctilux, -> I like the 50mm fov a lot-just right for me to be close to the subject but not too close.
#2: 75/2.0 - it forces me to fill the viewfinder. Sometimes I feel that its too tight but in the end the images turn out good

#3:21/2.8 I really like it to catch the atmpshpere inside rooms, or outside when there is a group of people. I tried to use 24/1.4mm for some time and its a great lens but over the past months I re-explored how much I like the 21/2.8. The 24 to me sometimes looks in between wide and ultra wide so my preference is more towards 21mm.

chrism

Much as I enjoy 'what if' games, I have to counsel you against reducing your lens list - you will only buy them back again and lose money in the process! I learnt that lesson the hard way.
As for three keepers - the three I nominate as being outstanding are the Elmarit 24, the Lux 50 ASPH and the Lux 75.

Chris

jonoslack

Hi Tom
I quite agree with Chris - sell at your peril. I've been there, and I still regret selling the few lenses I have sold.

3 favorites is difficult, but I guess

1. 75 'cron
2. WATE
3. 50 lux,nocti,lux,nocti,lux (can't decide!).

closely followed by the 28 'cron.
. . . . .

Dan Ortego

I had and loved the 50-Lux, 28-Cron' and the 21-Elmerit with the Lux being my favorite and the Elmerit being in third place - too contrasty’ for my taste. I also had the 35 for a few days but I didn't much care for it.

The second most worst thing' I have ever done was buying into Leica, while the number one worst thing' I ever did was selling those lenses.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

For some perverted reasons, I am looking for a bargain priced Macro Elmar 90/4 (only the lens and not the add ons) and the Apo Telyt 135. Let me know if you are selling.

Paratom

Jono, 28Cron would also be my number 4, specially it is the widest without ext, viewfinder.

I am even so crazy to own the Nocti (favorite 50), the 50/1.4asph (for travel as a nice speed/weight compromise) and the 50/2.5 (compact walkaround).

jonoslack

For some perverted reasons, I am looking for a bargain priced Macro Elmar 90/4 (only the lens and not the add ons) and the Apo Telyt 135. Let me know if you are selling.
Nothing perverted about that Vivek - we're all looking for them, as they'll have a nice new lease of life on the M.

:)

Paratom

Own both but not (yet?) ready to sell those.
I admit I dont use the 90 Makro much, but the 135 sometimes helps.

GMB

At the moment my theory is that my money is better invested in Leica glass than at the bank. Frankly, with the new M and loads of used M9 coming on the market, the price for glass can only go into one direction: north. So why sell unless you need the cash. And I know, I would regret any sell.

As regards favorite lens, impossible to say, as this changes all the time. Love my 50s (Nocti, lux, cron) all for different things and reasons; could never part from my 35 cron (sharp and compact); love the 75 lux and cron; the compact 2.8 90; and the of course the 28 cron and the 24 2.8. Only lens I hardly ever use is the 135. And then there is the MATE, which I love on hikes as a 1 lens kit.

Glad I bought most of them years ago at decent prices :).

thrice

I have settled on:
21 Super Elmar ASPH
35 Summilux ASPH FLE
50 Summilux ASPH

I might consider a macro or super-tele (my standard tele requirements fulfilled by non-leica lenses at the moment) now that the M can support them.

Double Negative

Not Available
My "three lens" kit is:

Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH
Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
Elmar-M 90mm f/2.8

I have a Tele-Elmar-M 135mm f/4 for the top end and will probably pick up a Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH for the wide end and call it a day. Extra points for all lenses having a 46mm filter thread.

V

Vivek

I am surprised that the 35/2 Asph does not find and love. :bugeyes:

MPK2010

1. 50 Summilux ASPH -- excellent, flexible all-arounder; very nice color.

3. 50 Summicron current (pre-APO) -- worth keeping for the really nice rendering at wide apertures for people photos and nighttime shots.

3. 35 Summarit -- flexible, small, great color, nice out of focus rendering, great overall look in good daytime light and at night.

If I were to add a 4th -- 35 2.8 ZM -- perfect hiking lens -- great sharpness and contrast in a very small lens.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
1) 28 Cron
2) 50 Cron (I have a v2 lux and a pre-ASPH lux, and I like the cron better than either. What's wrong with me?)
3) 21 Zeiss

--Matt