The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why not all R lenses supported with new M?

algrove

I have no knowledge about R lenses except that I want some long ones to use with an M someday.

Any ideas why not all R lenses not supported by new M based on the official M brochure handed out at Photokina?

The longest on the list seems to be the APO Telyt-R 4/280.

Not supported:
250mm
400mm
500mm

jonoslack

They should all work (I'm pretty sure) it's a case of whether they're supported in the exif information in the firmware. It seems they've stuck to the more recent lenses.

As far as I know you can attach anything with a proper adaptor.

all the best

algrove

They should all work (I'm pretty sure) it's a case of whether they're supported in the exif information in the firmware. It seems they've stuck to the more recent lenses.

As far as I know you can attach anything with a proper adaptor.

all the best
I see it seems like many of the supported R lenses are of the APO variety, i.e., pricey lenses. Maybe they will/can expand the list from the current 20 to include most if not all of the R lenses. Here the 180/2.8 Elmarit-R is around $800, but I'm hearing the APO 180/2.8 is maybe $2kto3k. Yikes. I do wonder if the APO's are that much better.

Stuart Richardson

They are.

P.S. the 180/2.8 APO was around 5000 USD six years ago, given the trend in Leica prices, it would likely cost 7000 or 8000 today (right in line with the S 180mm). It is a staggeringly good lens, and there is not really a comparison at any aperture to the previous 180mm elmarit (the 180/3.4 APO would be a closer competitor, but still not in the same league). Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and though you pay through the nose for the best R lenses, you get performance that is still better than any other camera system out there, barring the M and S lines, with some few exceptions in the Zeiss range and every once in awhile, a lens or two from another make.

doug

Here the 180/2.8 Elmarit-R is around $800, but I'm hearing the APO 180/2.8 is maybe $2kto3k. Yikes. I do wonder if the APO's are that much better.
There isn't a linear relationship between price and performance, but you do get what you pay for. The APO lenses are that good.

jonoslack

Because the rear element hits the mirror :bugeyes:
:confused: :) :p :ROTFL:

I'm pretty certain all R lenses will work okay - but it seems to be the recent ones which are supported. Having said that, I'm not sure that adjustments are going to be very necessary, so the only downside of using an unsupported lens is the exif (after all, you're likely to be using telephotos).

As for the 180 f2.8 APO, I got a badly advertised one on ebay for £1000 about a year ago, but they're usually much more expensive than that. But there are still bargains to be had, although how long that will last sounds doubtful. My feeling is that when the M is shipping, suddenly people will really want these lenses, with the inevitable effect on the price.

The less popular lenses can be really cheap - I bought a 70-210 f4 push-pull zoom (made by Minolta - beautifully, it's a lovely lens) for around £200.

all the best