The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 1.4X magnifier

W

wparsons

There is a Hong Kong version at 1.33, I think, for less money.

I use the 1.25 from Leica.

I believe the 1.4 prevents one from seeing the wider frame lines, so this mag can't be left on all the time. However, the 1.4 works for the longer lenses.

The magnifier is terrific. I got a second body and am planning on getting a second 1.25 for it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am with Mike --- a 1.4 on the M8 for the 75 and 90 would be awesome. Relative to fewer missed focus wide open with those optics, the $325 entry price seems almost trivial...

jamriman

yeah $325 but is there an alternative? I've got a 1.25X and it helps.... 1.4X better?
Theres that 1.35 diopter Japanese version. Do search on this site. You'll find more info there. I might go for one for $175.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
One of the advantages of the 1.4x is supposed to be ......it provides a near 1.00 view verse the standard .68. This allows you to keep both eyes open while focusing. You can almost see this if you have a 1.25x but the magnification difference will through you off. I have had it recommended to me to try to keep my left eye open while focusing with my right. This allows the person being photographer to see your eye and that you mean no harm.

Knorp

Received mine Monday evening, but no field experience yet, only a fiew indoor shots with a 135at. This 1.4x magnifier is rather bulky though ... :shocked:

Last edited:

archiM44

Before Leica came out with the 1.4, I bought a 1.35 from megaperls(now Japan Exposures) in Japan for about $175 and it works perfectly (with built-in diopter correction). I have the Leica 1.25 with a diopter correction from Leica and the 1.35 does not do under for it and is as compact.
Unfortunately when I just checked to provide a link they state that due to patent restrictions it may not be sold to U.S or German customers.http://www.japanexposures.com/
Maurice

jamriman

Before Leica came out with the 1.4, I bought a 1.35 from megaperls(now Japan Exposures) in Japan for about $175 and it works perfectly (with built-in diopter correction). I have the Leica 1.25 with a diopter correction from Leica and the 1.35 does not do under for it and is as compact.
Unfortunately when I just checked to provide a link they state that due to patent restrictions it may not be sold to U.S or German customers.http://www.japanexposures.com/
Maurice
My order went through even though I live in the US since I'm using it for my telescope only. The Leica 1.4 doesn't have the diopter.

Last edited:

Hacker

Am using the 1.4x and have sold the 1.25x version. So much better for 50mm shots and above. I thought it brighter also, but do not like the slightly longer length.

Paratom

I received the 1.4 but thought it was too much of a tunnel view which I did not like.
I gave it back and stay with my 1.25.
Also the 1.25 works fine with 28mm frame, the 1.4 does not.
I might hvae decided different if I was mainly shooting 75 and 90 or 50/1.0
However the 28 and 50/1.4 and 75/2,5 I can focus fine with the 1.25 and its just more relaxing for my eyes than the 1.4.

I think to remember that the rubber ring is different from the one on the 1.25 (which I have lost allready twice)
Tom

deepdiver

Hi guys, sorry to bring this old tread back to surface,
As you all know here, I don't have a Leica M camera yet, however, I will have M9 soon :)
and I ONLY have 1 M lens with me right now, which is Leica 50/1.4 ASPH.
I'm planning not to buy a new lens for a while.
I want to maximize 50/1.4 ASPH.
Now my question is.
SInce i love shooting portrait, I want to use F1.4 for most of the time :D
how easy the standard viewfinder to nail the focus at F1.4 ???
OR
Should I get the Leica 1.4x magnifier? so that I can focus much easier for F1.4

any comment and suggestion will be great!
Thank you

Andree

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Andree,

You should have no issues focusing at 1.4 on the 50lux. It looks like you have done quite a bit of manual focus on some of your other cameras ... so you apparently know what you are doing. I can't speak to the M9 specifically, but on the M8 the shorter focal lengths (35 and 50luxes) have never been an issue. f1.4 on the M 50 lux is sharper than the 80R lux you are familiar with using.

Kurt

deepdiver

Hi Kurt!

thank for the quick reply, so u are suggesting me NOT to buy any eye magnifier for using 50mm @F1.4 ??
I played a bit on Leica webite, they have a nice "M9 rangefinder camera game" where you can pick a lens, then u can try to focus the subject.
When I choose 50mm, I was a little bit surprised of how small the area on the view finder :(
SO the question came out on my head "Will I be able to get a focus image @F1.4 50mm ??"

thank you

John Black

I prefer NOT to use a 1.25x or 1.40x magnifier on the M8 with the 50 Lux ASPH because the magnifiers reduce contrast. The extra magnification is nice, but I do better without them. I think focusing the 50 Lux ASPH on the M8 is quite easy. I very seldom have an OOF.

I've tried the Leica 1.25x and 1.4x along with the HK Supplies 1.25x. If do find that you need a magnifier, try the HK Supplies first. It works just as well IMO - and for about 25% of the price of a new Leica 1.25x.